7mm-08 for deer hunting

The bullet broke a rib, tore through the top of lungs and possibly liver, then oddly appears to have bounced off the spine and took another rib out on it's exit...never to be found. Call BS all you want, I wouldn't believe that could have happened at that distance, but that's the way it appeared to all who were hunting with me. The load was a hornady 139BTSP interlock clocking 2820.

I won't call BS!

I shot a WT last year with a 7-08/139BTSP, shorter range (~100) but also lower MV (2700ish). Perfectly broadside. Deer jumped at the shot, took off like a rocket. Found him piled up 80 yds out - with a fair sized exit about 4" forward of his rear hock. So as I am wondering how I completely blew a 100yd "gimme", I flip him over and the entry is almost textbook boiler-room - just behind the front shoulder crease.

On dressing and skinning the deer, the only obvious bone hit was the rib on the way in and the far back rib on the way out. I guess it just hit at the perfect angle to send the bullet at a strange angle through the animal. The innerds were quite a mess, to say the least.

Before this turns into a bullet referendum, please note that I don't think this is in any way indicative of this bullet (which by the way did a fine job) - just one of the random things that can occur when you put supersonic metal into soft, bony, and wet critters. Just thought it was interesting that you had a similar experience.

Interesting story, varmintH8R. Thanks for sharing. FWIW, my deer was DRT...which is nice. You always worry about having to trail a deer a lot if you hit it at the edge of your calibers capabilities. I had told myself no shots beyond 450 and under 400 would be best.

To the OP, I think the 130 AB would be a fine bullet out to ~400yards. Sorry for never really replying to that part of your question.

Got one for Christmas when I was about 12, old Ruger 77 stainless/skeleton stock 7mm-08. For years shot the Hornady 139 SST's and had excellent luck with it. It is an awesome whitetail caliber. I still have it, but these days it rarely sees daylight outside the safe, as it has become more of a sentimental piece.

I would recommend the Nosler 140 Accubonds, or Berger 168's for heavy hitters.

I'm looking at buying a 7mm-08 and is wondering if anyone has had experience with one. It would be used for deer hunting. What do u think the farthest you could kill a deer at using 130 accubonds?

I bought a rem model 7 ks about 15-17 years ago in a 7mm-08. I have killed countless deer with this rifle. I've always shot factory ammo with this rifle until 3 years ago. Greta accuracy and deadly. Then I loaded 139gmx and it got 1/2" MOA type accuracy. Long story short, I've killed two white tails at long range(remember I'm in Georgia) with this,7-08. One at 336 yds and one earlier this season a nice 8 at 247 yds. They both went down in their tracks. Go the 7-08 route. You won't regret it.....

My cousin has a Tikka 7mm-08 and hs killed countless deer with it all over the US. I bought my son a Savage 7mm-08 4 years ago. It is a very good shooting rifle. He has killed several hogs aand a few Florida whitetails with 140 Noslers BT and 140 Bergers. He is 15 and has shot sub moa groups out to 400yards with it. It's the best shooting $300 rifle I have.

Jay

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.