.224 legitimate deer hunting round?

eddybo

I know tons of whitetails have been downed with .22s and I am not saying that a .223 with a 55gr pill isnt sufficient and am not going to argue it with anyone.
I just want to know whether a 70gr barnes triple shock at 22/250 or 22/243 velocities will be a good whitetail rifle for ranges out to say 400 yards. What about 90gr bergers? Would I get a pass through if I double lung em with these bullets at these ranges?
So basically is a .22/6.5x47 shooting the above bullets going to be a decent critter getter for the wife? BTW she is a good shot and isnt going to take a marginal shot.

I have a .223 wssm that I use with 90gr SMKs and have killed 7 deer with this year and all were past throughs except one. All were pretty much dead right there. 2 deer were at 300 yards and the bullet penetrated both shoulders and left a 1-1/2" exit on both deer.

I also load my other .223 wssm with a 53 Barnes TSX and have shot several deer between 300 and 400 yards with past throughs.

On average the 90 SMK seems to always leave a bigger exit hole and a lot more blood to trail if needed. I have been very impressed with its ablity and performace at long ranges.

What your not willing to give up the 243 Ackley? or she wants somthing lighter?

You should have figured that eventualy you were gonna have to build her a gun , I was talking about making another tip to Indipendance and the wife asked how i ever got a "girl frined" way up their. A guy can't spend a pile of money , time away from home with nothing to show for it and not get accused of having a girl frined. :rolleyes:

I have dropped dear at 450, 490, and the longest of 612 with the 80gr berger out of my 22-243. I have since switch to the 90gr berger and took one at 65 yards but haven't come across a need for long shot yet.

I have killed deer with the 52gr Tripple shock out of a 22-250Ai at around 3900fps , killed pretty quick , deer went 40 yds or so , double lung hit bullet exited leaving a quarter sized hole. I have also shot them with the 75gr A-max and it worked well , I'd avoid shooting any dense meat or bone like a shoulder or Ham shot with it as they expand REAY fast. I talked to Kevin Rayhill about a 22-243 Ai a good while back and he has killed deer with his and 80gr SMK's out past 600yds.

If you have to order a barrel anyway then I personaly would do a .243 cal and shoot the 90-95gr Ballisitc tips out of it , runing them out of a 6x47 , 243 speed your would get good performance.

But if you have a 22 cal barrel thats just needing a new home I woulden't hesitate to shoot deer with a 22 cal at those speeds with good bullets.

Thanks for the info I knew someone here had a definative answer.

James, I aint building nothing for my wife....building them for me....but am willing to share......except the 243AI:) I had access to a stiller predator and a hankering for another .22 so I decided it may as well be a wildcat. I have had such good luck with the 6.5x47 case that I decided to go that way. The reamer is in, the action is there, the sendero contour 22 hart 8 twist has arrived as has the jewels trigger and the bottom metal........just waiting on one of those canadian stocks and it is in the mail:)
The wife loves her .280BAR but it is a little much gun for her. The 243Ai would be perfect if I would share......but I am sure I wouldnt get it back. The nephews have dibbs on the 243AI and I am really impressed with thier ability to shoot it. I was beginning to think I was becoming a better shooter...then I figured out it was all the gun:mad: Everyone who shoots it shoots better than thier ability with that little throw together jewel.

Luckily my wife enjoys don and sandras company as much as I do.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts