Decisions, Decisions!

RWeeks7mm

I am in need of some help with a decision. I have two possible rifle projects but can only afford to do one at this time. First of all I have a Savage Model 11 in .243 Win with a 22" 1:9.25 twist barrel that I got in a trade NIB and I would like to re-barrel it to allow for handling heavier bullets and put it in a new stock or chassis. This is where option 1 comes in. Do I keep it a .243 and get a 1:8 or 1:7 twist barrel in maybe 24"-26" or maybe as I have been pondering on; change it to a .260 Remington with a 26"-30" 1:8. This is where option 2 comes in. I also have an Aero Precision M5 Multi-caliber AR10 upper and lower set that I got very cheap. I had originally planned on making it a .308 Win but due to availability of some .308 AR barrels and the fact that I would like to do a hard to find 22" or 24" barrel in .308; that again led me to the .260 Remington. So I guess what it boils down to, would it be "better" to have a .260 Rem in a bolt or a semi-auto or should I scrap the .260 Rem and go with the .243 Win in bolt and the .308 in semi. Neither would be used for hunting, just targets for now and max 200 yards unless I travel the 2 or so hours here in PA to shoot further. Also I know I could do 6.5 Creed, but I don't really want to ride that bandwagon since 6.5 Creed and .260 Rem are so close.

I am in need of some help with a decision. I have two possible rifle projects but can only afford to do one at this time. First of all I have a Savage Model 11 in .243 Win with a 22" 1:9.25 twist barrel that I got in a trade NIB and I would like to re-barrel it to allow for handling heavier bullets and put it in a new stock or chassis. This is where option 1 comes in. Do I keep it a .243 and get a 1:8 or 1:7 twist barrel in maybe 24"-26" or maybe as I have been pondering on; change it to a .260 Remington with a 26"-30" 1:8. This is where option 2 comes in. I also have an Aero Precision M5 Multi-caliber AR10 upper and lower set that I got very cheap. I had originally planned on making it a .308 Win but due to availability of some .308 AR barrels and the fact that I would like to do a hard to find 22" or 24" barrel in .308; that again led me to the .260 Remington. So I guess what it boils down to, would it be "better" to have a .260 Rem in a bolt or a semi-auto or should I scrap the .260 Rem and go with the .243 Win in bolt and the .308 in semi. Neither would be used for hunting, just targets for now and max 200 yards unless I travel the 2 or so hours here in PA to shoot further. Also I know I could do 6.5 Creed, but I don't really want to ride that bandwagon since 6.5 Creed and .260 Rem are so close.
Don't complicate it unnecessarily, pick on it and go for it.

You're the only one that you have to please. Look at the big picture & the end result. Look at available resources, now & future. Don't let it become a chore, make it fun.
"Enjoy life.....this is NOT a dress rehearsal!"

200 yards? That's almost point blank range so you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the .204, .223, .243, .308, 6.5CM, 260Rem, and many others. Same with the bullet weights, you won't see a difference between light or heavy bullets at that short range. Your shooting form and reloading ability will cause more variation at that range than twist, bullet weight, etc. You'll always get more accuracy at that short range from a lighter recoiling rifle. You're not hunting with it so choose light recoil for better accuracy.

Last edited:
Also look at the price of bullets. You'll typically find that, the more they weigh, the more they cost. That being said, I'd do the 243 Win with an 8 twist and either shoot 95's or 105's. There is plenty of performance, lower recoil, and should you ever want to shoot a deer or a groundhog, it's way more than capable of 400 yards or better. One of my 600 yard bench guns is exactly that combination. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
If I were you I personally would go for the 243 and 308 both readily available except for present conditions which ever one you do first is up to you

To 400 Yards on Deer / Antelope, etc.,.. the 6.5 Creed or, .243 Win., are "Sweet" and I like, the LOWER Recoil of, Both.
.243 Bullets ARE Cheaper, BUT, the 6.5 Creed's Barrel, will last, a bit, Longer !
Tough, 1st World, Decisions,.. LOL
Avoid, the .308, as too much, Recoil,.. IMO !

Last edited:
I shoot all the calibers on your list except my bolt .243 and .260 are both Ackley chambers now. All the calibers you picked are very good and since you reload all can be very accurate. Only thing I would do if I was going to do both bolt and gas I would do both in the same caliber. Before I re-barreled in AI for both .243 and .260 I had gas guns in both. Same with 6mm CM and they shot well, I just loose interest in gas guns quickly. And I'm lazy and don't like chasing brass all over heck and half of Georgia!

For 200 yard targets or less leave the 243 alone. You don't need the slow twist and it will have the least recoil out of your options. For the AR…. I like the 260. You could always split the difference like I did and go 7mm-08.🤔😂

For 200 yard targets or less leave the 243 alone. You don't need the slow twist and it will have the least recoil out of your options. For the AR…. I like the 260. You could always split the difference like I did and go 7mm-08.🤔😂
Just out of curiosity why forget the .243 at 200 yards? You load a 100gr in the 6mm, a 140ish in the 6.5 and a 150ish in the 7mm and they are all within a couple hundred FPS. Is it just barrel life?