Deadly Precision Gunsmithing?

I've stayed out of this one for a while but I think I will tell you about my experience with DPG and Lorenzo. A little over a year ago I dropped off (I only live about 40 miles from his shop) a Pre 64 Winchester and a new Kreiger 6.5mm 8.5 twist barrel and asked Lorenzo to chamber it in 6.5-06 Imp, mount the barrel, true up the action and coat everything in guncoat. He took a little longer to do it than he promised but it was done in about 3 months if I remember correctly. I glass bedded the action into the Manners stock myself. The throat was too short to seat the Berger 140's to the base of the neck so I returned it to him and he lengthened the throat for me in about a week. I couldn't be happier with this rifle it shoot lights out. Here are some pictures of the finished product and a 3 shot 100 yard target. Two years is too long to wait for a custom rifle in my opinion, but I'm sure happy with the work he did for me and I will use him again.

Attachments

• IMG_2189.JPG
    IMG_2189.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2190.JPG
    IMG_2190.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2188.JPG
    IMG_2188.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1510.jpg
    IMG_1510.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 63
When people ask about who a good reputable Gunsmith is Or a Gunbuilder. There is a very distinct difference. For the gunsmiths or tuners I believe Mr Backus can do as good job as any of them. He also has more to loose to us than anyone else. He really has the incentive to do a great job.

As far as builders go you will find opinions on every corner. One builder that's name is hardly ever heard on this forum and does one of h very best firearms with the best resale value in the industry is Kelbys. The Stole action is one of the most revered actions in the world. Surgeon and Defiance are great in there own right. But when the chips are down I would take a Kelbys rifle over the former manufactures any day of the week.

One has to ask themselves if they want to put the same amount of money in a massed produced hunting rifle or to have a truly accurate engineered rifle

I've stayed out of this one for a while but I think I will tell you about my experience with DPG and Lorenzo. A little over a year ago I dropped off (I only live about 40 miles from his shop) a Pre 64 Winchester and a new Kreiger 6.5mm 8.5 twist barrel and asked Lorenzo to chamber it in 6.5-06 Imp, mount the barrel, true up the action and coat everything in guncoat. He took a little longer to do it than he promised but it was done in about 3 months if I remember correctly. I glass bedded the action into the Manners stock myself. The throat was too short to seat the Berger 140's to the base of the neck so I returned it to him and he lengthened the throat for me in about a week. I couldn't be happier with this rifle it shoot lights out. Here are some pictures of the finished product and a 3 shot 100 yard target. Two years is too long to wait for a custom rifle in my opinion, but I'm sure happy with the work he did for me and I will use him again.

Your rifle is almost a twin to mine but your bolt is on the wrong side. Lorenzo Built this one for me and this is a pic of one of my better targets. My build was done on time and the fit & finish, and accuracy of my rifle is the best I have ever seen or used.

Attachments

• 2012-09-10_19-56-13_692.jpg
    2012-09-10_19-56-13_692.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 2012-09-12_19-45-36_335.jpg
    2012-09-12_19-45-36_335.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 60
So the customer waited and waited and waited for over 2 years for his new rifle and then when it was finally ready the gunsmith decided to sell it to someone else because he was unwilling to let the customer give the final payment to his FFL for delivery upon receipt? That doesn't sound very reasonable. There are way too many good reputable gun smiths out there to be dealing with an unreasonable guy.

I wouldn't call it exactly square. The guy quit answering calls, emails and a lawyer had to be called toget things "square". That is definitely not square or good business. DPG has lost a lot if not all good reputation on my end. I would definitely not send a project over there to be done unless a lot of explaining about why he didn't answer the calls or emails, send the money back sooner, or reply on here instead of going into hiding.

Roger that, I would have a face to face meeting before a lawyer was even considered. American Airlines is cheaper than a lawyer any day.

I'll recommend Hill Country Rifles out of Texas Full heartedly. They have a little bigger operation than most, I think 7-9 gunsmiths, some that have superior skills in different areas too. They seem to have a real business model with sales and support that I like. Top notch organization.

+1 I own several Hill Country Rifles. They are great. Just did load work for a 300 win mag from them and got .323" @100yds.

Anyone have contact with Deadly Precision Gunsmithing?

All of this along with no response from Lorenzo has got me worried!

If any of you are friends with Lorenzo and/or have contact with him, my name is Andy Nichols and I ask that you suggest that Lorenzo contact me.

Let me explain:

I'm a wounded warrior and disabled, have to shoot out of a wheelchair, and travel anywhere is a major event that always requires a traveling companion, and I really dislike the thought of having to get a lawyer involved, and of course the extra expense involved with that. No intent to ask for sympathy, just explaining my circumstances...

Mainly based on recommendations from this site and after a discussion with Lorenzo I sent him a McMillan actioned Warbird for a new barrel and based on his suggestion a new stock.

To be fair, I also asked him to do some other custom things to help reduce the felt recoil, so there is some extra work involved in the build....Plus I did not buy the stock until after the barrel came in. However he has had all parts to complete the build for well over a year.

Lorenzo did offer to give me a 10% discount on labor, and all parts along with most projected labor, was paid in advance!

Now I don't visit this site on a regular bases, but after Lorenzo did not respond to my last couple of e-mails logged in here and found this discussion...

Another thing that's really troubling is all the guys listed above that have had rifles completed by Lorenzo while my rifle, parts, and money is there in limbo...

My last contact with him was last fall and it was the same story, "all is well, my rifle was next in line to be finished, just a couple of weeks"

My intent is now just to get my rifle and parts I paid for back, I would consider that success at this point....So again if anyone has contact with Lorenzo, please pass that along.

Thanks to anyone that has the ability to get Lorenzo to contact me and/or just get him to return my rifle and the parts that I have paid for.....

Andy Nichols

Well I am the same boat! I paid In full almost two years ago for a custom 270 WM, I also sent him a New NF scope. I can't tell this form how many times I have been promised my rifle, I lost count ,but its over least 10 times. I will say Lorenzo is a great gunsmith, as I had a custom 300 WM made which took twice as long as he said, but it shoots 1/4 moa out to 800 yards! Lorenzo will stop retuning calls, emails and texts and treats his customer like they are the bad guys , go figure? He finally return my text a couple of days ago, after about three weeks and said he would refund my money and send me my scope back,Thats what i have waited for over 18 months, right! I won't hold my breath for that either , I will keep this form advised. I guess some of his customer are lucky and get a great rifle and the other are posting on this form there regrets.

Roger

It's threads like this that keep me from sending my parts off to anyone out driving distance. I want to be able to put my hands on them if need be. My parts that is. :rolleyes:

Did you just buy guns from them or did you send them yours for reworking ? Thanks Ed

Horrible thing is, the rifle he has from me, is the retirement present from my wife.

At this point, I just want the rifle, and parts I purchased back.....

Another point everyone should consider:

Deadly Precision Gunsmithing, is a Sponsor for this site, and "Grit"/Lorenzo, is a writer....someone must have contact with Lorenzo?

Andy

Wounded Warrior Alumni

Actually,

He used to be a Sponsor/writer on here. I think that they De-Sponsored him.

And I would say that his business is pretty much DONE!

You might want to get a lawyer or get in contact with the original guy that made this thread.

Actually,

He used to be a Sponsor/writer on here. I think that they De-Sponsored him.....

Yea I thought so to, but the last "official" Long Range Hunting Magazine announcement that I could find is in this:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/email/preview.php?c=504&m=465&previewtype=html

Also checked the Sponsor page on here and there is only the announcement that Deadly Precision Gunsmithing is an official sponsor (if I missed the announcement somewhere let me know)

Andy,

Wounded Warrior Alumni

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.