Cutting Edge 7mm bullets

novaman64

So my 280ai is currently being built, hopefully be done next month. Anyways, been shooting the 168 VLD's out of my 7mag, and was planning on shooting the same out of my new 280ai (1:9" barrel)... Was doing some reading and looking at possibly using the 168 LRAB. In the back of my mind I had been thinking I should just really bite the bullet now and switch to lead free since California passed a law that will outlaw hunting with lead bullets in a few years (already in effect in So Cal). That being said starting looking into the LRX bullets, bummer is the BC numbers are a fair amount lower than the VLD or LRAB's. Luckily the internet is a endless mess of info, and I ran across the Cutting Edge MTH (Match/Tactical/Hunting) bullets (lead free and claifornia approved, yay!). They have a decent selection of weight in the .284 cal (130, 145, 155, 160, 170). The 170 calls for a 1:8.5 twist barrel so wont work in my rifle, so was looking at the specs for the 155 and 160, both call for a 1:9.25" so I am good there.... Their website has a G1 BC for the 155 being .610 and the BC on the 160 as being .585. Im guessing this has to be a misprint, I emailed their tech support, so we shall see what they have to say...

Has anybody shot the 155 or 160 CE MTH bullets? Can you tell me how they shoot compared to the VLD's on paper long range? And what about how the perform on animals?

Excited that there is a high BC lead free option for us California hunters that shoot long range... :)

Haven't shot the 7mm bullets, but have let a bunch fly out of the 300 RUM and my 416 RUM. They are very nice bullets and print itty bitty groups, but are pretty pricey so I only use them for hunting. They are similar to barnes in the fact that they like to be pushed hard and are generally not jump sensitive. The bearing surface is surprisingly short. I want to get a box of the 155 to try in my 7 saum, but will probably hold off till spring to do this. The 155 has a higher bc due to the max design.

Reuben

Wow, talk about good support...

I emailed Cutting Edge super late Friday night and jsut got a response back on a holiday weekend... Looks like I will be shooting the 155's. Here is their response...

It is correct the 155gr bullets have a higher BC than the 160gr bullets. We will be making the 160gr bullets obsolete soon since there is no need for them.
G7 BC is .290.

I live on the central coast here in Cali and was in the same boat so I ordered a box for my 7WSM. I have shot them out to 1K and back again to verify my Dope, they are very accurate and consistent. I've taken them to the range a couple of times with the same results so I ordered another box and loaded them for last year's hunting season. Unfortunately I have only killed a couple of small game animals with them so not sure of perfomance in the killing of big game. They did a great job on the small animals.

I live on the central coast here in Cali and was in the same boat so I ordered a box for my 7WSM. I have shot them out to 1K and back again to verify my Dope, they are very accurate and consistent. I've taken them to the range a couple of times with the same results so I ordered another box and loaded them for last year's hunting season. Unfortunately I have only killed a couple of small game animals with them so not sure of perfomance in the killing of big game. They did a great job on the small animals.

Good to hear, are you shooting the 155's? What range were you shooting game?

Sorry. Yes I'm shotting the 155's, Both times I killed something it was 125 yrds same spot both times, very devistating on them both.

The only way you'll have trouble cleanly harvesting animals with the MTH is if you botch the shot.

They are stupid accurate in my experience & kill as cleanly as any other bullet i've shot. They are expensive but as a pure hunting bullet they have few equals.

I've worked with Dan the president of CE on more than one occasion, they are extremely transparent. They want & ask for our experience & findings. Of the CEBs i've used BC as been spot on or **** close to advertised.

Shoot with confidence.

t

I have a box of 7mm 155 MTH's and a box of .25 caliber MTH's, that I won on a contest on here... But I have been afraid to shoot them.

Afraid because my rifles might really like them, but my wallet definitely can't afford them.

But they make a cool conversation piece when you ask someone if they want to see a $75 a box of projectiles... LMFAO

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.