Custom Ruger 10/22 Build, Need Advice

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48126

Just picked up a bone stock Ruger 10/22 at a local gun shop. I need some advice on what to do with it. I want it to be a solid 100 yard performer and possibly 200 yards with the right ammo and with me pushing it to its limits. Question is what barrel? What stock? Do I need a new trigger or can it be adjusted? Any other parts I should be thinking about? If you have a custom ruger 10/22 please feel free to post pics to give me an idea. Thanks for your time.

I can't find a current picture but I'll try to take one.

Accuracy can be achieved.:D

There are so many aftermarket parts for the 10/22 that you don't even need to start with a 10/22 any more.....

Basics:

• Stock - Tacticool works very very well. I couldn't stand my Fajen so I changed it. Choose your poison...
  • Barrels - So many, I actually use a WhistlePig, it works for me. Lilja, Shilen any of the high end barrels. I've shot them all. Even the Ruger target bull barrel is fine quality and accuracy.
  • Trigger - get a Kidd or have someone good do yours or learn to do it yourself with a Volquartezen Hammer and Sear kit.
  • Scope rail: EGW 20 moa
  • Scope: Nightforce 8-32x56 gun)No really get good target turret optics. The Crosman from wallyworld is rocking good for $70 but I have used my Sightron SIII 10-50x60.
  • Buffer - yes replace it. The "Black Widow" is a fine one.
  • Other stuff - OMG the list is endless. Guide rod, springs, charging handles. It is endless.
One of the hardest this is that once it shoots you have to stop messing with it.

Thanks for your responses. I am particular about how my rifles look. I like more conservative, clean lines. Are the hogue stocks any good for the 10/22? I HATE them on Remington 700s (stock flexes) but they do look good. I was also looking at the BC Classic composite stock. Are green mountain barrels good? And for triggers would you reccomend an entire trigger assembly or just get good parts to replace the springs and hammer? Jfseamen post pics if you got em! :D

I have a standard Hogue. Full bedded models only....
B&C are fine stocks.
The easiest/best option is a Kidd trigger. Jard & Volquartzen triggers work very well. I have Jard.
The Green mountain are OK but the others are better. 200yards would be harder with a GM.

I have a Green Mountain fluted bull barrel, Hogue stock which works for me, a Volquartsen trigger and ejector, a plastic recoil pin to make it more quiet, a Volquartsen extended bolt handle, AAC brake and use my M42000 suppressor on it.

This pic has a crappy ole scope on it. Now I run a Zeiss Diavari 3-9x36. It's a 50 yard tack driver and 100 yard squirrel killer, all with subs. Never shot it at 200 yards.

I've been tossing this idea around myself. I have enough (well, for now) big dog rifles and I gave my wife my other custom 10/22 when I got my CZ bolt .22.

Accuracy is going to come down to 5 things:
1. Shooter
2. Trigger
3. Barrel
4. Ammo
5. Optics

From there it just depends on how small a group is small enough, and how much you are willing to spend to cut .125" off your groups.

Like others have said, the 10/22 is a grown ups version of Legos.. there are a million parts to soup it up to whatever style/config you desire.

For me:
Stock: Traditional hunting stock or a Tacticool (have on my CZ and like).
Barrel: Probably a Clarke or Shilin medium profile (I'm over the bull barrel thing).
Trigger: Probably a Kidd kit (Did Volq parts on my wifes and always did well too)
Ammo: Nice thing is the higher end stuff hasn't changed price much, unlike the 500rd bulk packs. Wolf/Eley/Lapua work when you find the right one. Again, how much are you willing to spend to shave tenths of inches. And in reality.. If you could get 50 rounds of Olympic Match quality ammo for $30, wouldn't you?
Optics: No comment as this could get ugly.. I'll take clear glass over power any day.

****! Now I want to start a build..

I will get some pictures, figure out how to post them. I will also get a list of components that I used. The rifle is not a conservative gun. Dave

Tagging in. I have been thinking about 10/22 build. Prob only .22 auto that I am interested in. Be interested to see where this goes. Best length of Barrel, can one replace barrel at home without a Smith. Sounds fun to put this together

Alright after a little speed bump and me freaking out in another thread :rolleyes: I got a new ruger 10/22. I am going to get a little bonus in the next month or so, so I am going to buy parts then. Ill post specs and photos of what I got.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.