Custom Rifle stock

Greg Duerr

I was always under the impression that if you were to put together a custom Rifle you would purchase a McMillan stock.

But I see that not to many Customs have them.......................

Whats your Synthedic stock choice for a custom build?

An old take-off Remington Sendero HS Precision stock (no palmswells) is my stock of choice, but they're expensive, and hard to find.

My 2nd choice is a Bell & Carlson Medalist.

One of the reasons I like the McMillan is that I can use my imagination of colors for a one of a kind gel swirel....................

A lot of the "not seeing alot of McMillians" is the 6 month + wait. Red Hawk Rifles has H-S for just under $350 shipped, I believe. Lots of times they're "in stock". That's "cheap and fast",,, the new American way.

I was always under the impression that if you were to put together a custom Rifle you would purchase a McMillan stock.

But I see that not to many Customs have them.......................

Whats your Synthedic stock choice for a custom build?

Give Shawn Shults a call at SS Rifle. He has purchased the stock business from John Whidden in Nashville, GA. He is building a high quality stock with an alumunum v-block. No bedding is required, I have 4 of these stocks and can remove actions from stock and return to stock with very little change in zero.

970-367-6139
[email protected]

I used a couple of Widden Composits. They come out heavy,,,,,,, heavier than Turkish Walnut. Not a big fan of the "aluminum bedding block", either. Most seem to think that piece of aluminum is a cure-all,,,,,, it ain't! They are quit popular,though. There's some others. Brown Precison comes to mind as does High Tech Specialties. Buying any of them as 'blanks' requires a lot lof labor to finish. Sending your metal toBrown or High Tech (or MPI) or having the builder do the work costs $$$. The Mc and Manners are comparetively easy. Pillars already installed, fnished on the outside, painted or marbled. Glass it and go.

Precision stock works. They are made by Mcmillian with no led times. They are an awesome product, and great people to work with.

Precision stock works. They are made by Mcmillian with no led times. They are an awesome product, and great people to work with.
Yes, but looks like only one style. And they either have the "blend" or painted color you want or they don't. Red Hawk lists Mc "in-stock", too, as do other suppliers. None stock all the variations Mc offers. when ordered from their factory.

Out of all the stock's i've owned, used or handled, the McMillan still gets my vote. They just seem to have a better feel in my hands. I'm not a fan of B&C, i'm sure they work just fine but feel & look cheap to me.

I have two Manners now, good stock, good quality but feel like a 2x4... I don't know what it is about them. If budget allows, all of my customs will be wearing an A-5 from here on out. YMMV

t

I love the McMillan A-series palm swell. I've got big hands, and it really relaxes the position of my wrist. I can also order an extended/custom LOP with McMillan without any extra cost. Manners looks like they make great stocks, but unless you add their bulky spacer kit, you cannot get longer than 13.5" LOP. In a custom stock that just seems silly to me. So for a custom build, I vote McMillan.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.