Custom Rifle

lefty15

My buddy and I were having a discussion the other day about the cost of building a custom rifle.
So my question is what can you buy/build a custom rifle for on a budget? I do not have the equipment or knowledge to do the build myself, but could buy the components and have a good smith put it together.
What are your guys thoughts?

Depending on your taste, $2500-$5000 without a scope. A scope will cost $500-3500.

Here is a base line....

Rem 700 - 450
Custom barrel - 315
Timey Trigger - 150
Bell and Carlson stock - 265
Scope rail - 50
Good Rings - 100

That puts you at 1,330 in parts then about another 1000-1500 in gunsmith fees depending on what you want done. So a conservative number would be 2,300 for a custom off a rem 700. Make that about 2600 if you use a stiller action.

I totally enjoy the research thinking about and the gathering of parts for a rifle. If you are not in a hurry know what you want and really do the homework you can come out pretty good. Right now am putting together a 300 WM using a Brux barrel Weatherby Mark V 9 lug receiver and after a conversation with my friend who is the smith gonna make some modifications on and above the regular pillar bed job to the factory Weatherby stock.... put it all together and see if it will shoot with that stock.

Wanting to keep the rifle around 9 lbs the reason for using the factory stock and will use a #4 barrel contour finishing at 26-28. The barrel will be set up for the 215gr Berger VLD so have to purchase the reamer also. The Weatherby (300 Weatherby) I picked up making a good deal and it has the needed long mag box. So all said and done will probably be in it as described above for around $1400.00 including the smith and all his expertise. If a different stock is needed punch in another $500.00 or so.

If you don't have a donor receiver and want a custom that is grand or more depending. But as you can see you can end up with a very accurate rifle for right around two grand. Probably one of the most important things is the smith you choose. My smith is my friend and we have been through this a few times so things work good. You hear the horror stories so pick your smith carefully....good luck.

Find a used savage 110 $350 to $450 for base model
McGowen pre-fit barrel for savage $330 ish
Good sturdy stock of your choice $350 ish

So about $1080 ish

And a savage is something anyone can put together with a little reading and a couple specialty tools

That's just the rifle. Then you have base rings and a scope. Plus a coating or paint job if u desire.

If you need a smith to do it all then the cost is more because a good workman is well worth his wages.

If you can handle some of the work you can save money.

Glass bedding a stock is a DIY project if you take time to learn all you can. One good thing: a Dremel tool can remove mistakes. I find it a lot of fun and detail oriented but not complicated. Some stocks have aluminium bedding blocks and are drop ins.

Triggers are drop in replacements for the most part.

I personally would contact the barrel company and ask how much for them to do the install. It becomes a one stop shop and eliminates headaches.

Scope and rings are DIY no problem. Just don't hurry.

But another option is to contact Len or one of his sponsors to see if they have something in stock that suits your needs. There is a lot out there that wasn't available just a few short years ago and nothin' is better than out-of-the-box simple! When I look at the websites I find a lot of what is offered is what I would order if I wanted custom. My opinion- this is the best first choice.

KB

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.