Custom Left Hand Rifles - 4 to 6 week completion times on left hand rifles

Re: Left Hand Rifles - How much interest is there in "Ready To Ship" left hand rifles

Savage300

Good morning

I have decided to order in a bunch of left hand actions and stocks. They will arrive in early December. I will wait for orders to build specific left hand rifles -- unlike currently for my "ready to ship" right hand rifles.

Normally completion for left hand rifle orders will be in 4 to 6 weeks from order -- same as for right hand orders. I am taking pre-orders now but obviously for these pre-orders the time line is dependent on initial component delivery.

Since at this time I expect that I will NOT be charging higher pricing for left hand than I charge for right hand, the pricing can be seen here right now.

Custom, precision, left hand long range hunting rifles

What type of actions and stocks will you be using for your left hand builds? build barrels also (I think I saw you using stillers, surgeon actions, manners and mcmillan stocks and brux and broghton barrels on your right hand builds)

Re: Left Hand Rifles - How much interest is there in "Ready To Ship" left hand rifles

Len,
This is simple business. It's a good idea if you want to charge the premium for a left hand build. Otherwise it will be bad for your company. You would have to advertise heavily to sell what you will have to keep on stock. Additionally; of those 10% of lefties, how many are going to be able to afford a precision rifle? These days you can buy fairly good accuracy straight "out of the box" for way under $1000. There is a simple reason companies don't build them and unfortunately it's all about money. If you've got gobs of money coming out of your ears then it would be commendable of you to offer the "service" to this small percentage of disadvantaged customers. Please give me some feedback on what you think.

Stanton, oh, I just answered you with an email before I saw this.
==============================

Midnight, I have ordered some left hand Stillers (with the new LRR logo, below), and McMillan A-3 stocks. I'll also have some lefty Manners t's on hand.

4199-2-170pix.jpg

I would like to point out that myself, my father, and my sister are right handed but left eye dominant. We all shoot left handed. My fiance is a true lefty and shoots left handed. We do not buy RH rifles. I personaly have in LH 1. a savage mark II 22lr. 2. A Remington 581 22lr, 3. An M700 300rum LSS, 4. A custom 300rum built on an M700 with a 27.5"kreiger. 5. An M700 BDL 7mm rem mag, 6. A savage model 16 300wsm, 7. a Tikka T3 lite 243, 8. I also have a Ruger no.1 which i picked up because it will work quite well LH that is being built to a 7mm08ackley. I will never again buy a factory rifle, they will all be customs. I intend to have Kirby build me a 300, or 338Raptor, then my next will be either a 260rem or 6.5x47Lapua.

Len,
This is simple business. It's a good idea if you want to charge the premium for a left hand build. Otherwise it will be bad for your company. You would have to advertise heavily to sell what you will have to keep on stock. Additionally; of those 10% of lefties, how many are going to be able to afford a precision rifle? These days you can buy fairly good accuracy straight "out of the box" for way under $1000. There is a simple reason companies don't build them and unfortunately it's all about money. If you've got gobs of money coming out of your ears then it would be commendable of you to offer the "service" to this small percentage of disadvantaged customers. Please give me some feedback on what you think.

Wow I bet your right handed! And I would like to see these rifles that are long range capable right out of the box that are LEFT HANDED that are $1000 or less? I can get a 308 or 300 win mag in a remington with a varming barrel but everything else is a light weight standard gun. So if len is the only guy doing a fast turn around or ready to ship then he's the only game in town. Look at it this way, think if you had 10% of the right handed market and were the only one doing ready to ship right handed rifles for long range? Is this a smart buisiness decision? Definatly. Its no more expensive to order any parts for a left hand custom. Stiller, surgeon, peirce, mcmillan, manners, badger, don't charge any more of there parts in left hand. So if len has lets say 5 on hand (stocks and actions), and can primise a 4-6 week turn around, this is an excellent decision. And for the last time 10% of the population is left handed, more than 10% are left handed shooters. Think eye dominance. Do some research before you make these brandish comments.

WOW dude; chill your barrel a little. I was simply giving my opinion because I was asked to. In this ecomomy I would not bet MY company on what a fraction of 10% of people MIGHT buy. These rifles are very expensive and most people are seriously cutting back on their buying. I did find several guns on gunbroker for $800 to $1200 that would give your high end rifles a good running though. Some where even chambered for those Gucci rounds you folk tend to use. Betcha that gets ya fired up too. Chill out man...a fast heart rate always shakes your reticle.

WOW dude; chill your barrel a little. I was simply giving my opinion because I was asked to. In this ecomomy I would not bet MY company on what a fraction of 10% of people MIGHT buy. These rifles are very expensive and most people are seriously cutting back on their buying. I did find several guns on gunbroker for $800 to $1200 that would give your high end rifles a good running though. Some where even chambered for those Gucci rounds you folk tend to use. Betcha that gets ya fired up too. Chill out man...a fast heart rate always shakes your reticle.

Im as cool as the other side of the pillow brother! but you go ahead and speak of what you just dont know. So what kind of rifles in LEFT HAND are you finding on gunbroker that will do the job? and whats your definition of "do the job" also i have no idea what you mean by "gucci rounds" does that mean I need to shoot a 308 or 30-06 or if i want really long range i will go with what jack oconnor said and use the best ever 270? come on man your just a little under gunned here, every pun intended!

if they could be shipped to a dealer in canada then i would buy one tomorrow. maybe 2...or 3 haha.

Shawn, sorry about our US export laws.

Over the years we have sold quite a number of left hand stocks inletted for right hand actions. As with the poster above when kids get to the hunting/shooting age most fathers start them out using what they have until they determine that the youngster is actually going to enjoy it and the investment isn't going to be wasted. Sometimes that process lasts into early adulthood and by that time they are so used to using a right hand action that they don't want to have to relearn how to operate the bolt. Having a rifle that fits them even if the bolt is on the opposite side can really make a difference in how well they shoot.

I'm a lefty and i prefer a right handed rifle. They are very useful to a left handed shooter when shooting off a bench and once you learn to use them left handed the shooter can become very proficient at cycling the action . Also if you had to sell a left handed rifle they would be much harder to get rid of than a right. So in answer to your question, as a southpaw myself, I don't think there is much of a market for left handed rifles, like I said I'm a lefty and I wouldn't buy one. In either case good luck.

if they could be shipped to a dealer in canada then i would buy one tomorrow. maybe 2...or 3 haha.[/QUOTE

Can I hold you to that Shawn. We apply for and receive export permits to Canada all the time. If you can provide us with the paperwork we need, we will have no problem sending you a hunting rifle. Unfortunately your government won't allow you to own a Tac-50 so scratch that one.

i,m a lefty and its hard to find a more upspected rifle off the shelf in your average gun store here in NZ. just your basic models and thay cost more then the same in right hand action.
savage is about the only company that don,t hike the price but in saying that the rifles have less features like blind magazine only:cool:
i supose the only way to get what you want is to customise and that costs
[Len when did you say you were moving to new zealand]
i,ve got 4 L/H bolt action rifles and i can do follow up shots heaps quicker then i can with a R/H action rifle and stay on the target with out having to find it in the scope again as i do with a R/H action rifle espcially if your pray is on the move

HI GUYS AND GALS..
JUST BEEN CHILLING OUT DURING THE WINTER SEASON. DOING A LOT OF RELOADING, CHECKING GUNS AND GENERALLY FIGURING OUT WHAT TO DO NEXT. HUNTING DAYS ARE LONG GONE...83 YEARS OLD AND I AM JUST A CONTENT TO BENCH SHOOT WITH MY PET TOYS AND KILL ASPIRINS AT 100 YARDS WITH MY 20 VARTARG CUSTOM. LOOKING FORWARD TO THE COMING SEASON, AS I HAVE WORKED UP SOME NEW LOADS...PRIMARILY FOR ACCURACY...IN THE 20 & 22 CALIBERS RANGE...ALSO AM WORKING UP LOAD FOR MY 38-55 & 45-70 SHOOTERS..LIKE TO KEEP THEM SOFT...DON'T NEED TO BE PUNISHED AT THE BUTT PLATE END....JUST GOT QUALIFIED AS AN NRA RSO....SO I WILL DO MORE INSTRUCTING AS WELL...

AIM TIGHT...SHOOT STRAIGHT...ENJOY THE HERITAGE..

Lowall...........(nick name...since I have 3 original lowalls and 1 hiwall)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.