Custom Left Hand Rifles - 4 to 6 week completion times on left hand rifles

Re: Left Hand Rifles - How much interest is there in "Ready To Ship" left hand rifles

BEING A RIGHT-HANDER, I DON'T HAVE THAT PROBLEM. HOWEVER, WHEN IT COMES TO HUNTING AND POSSIBLY GETTING OFF A SECOND SHOT, THEN THE HAND OF THE RIFLE CAN BECOME A PROBLEM. IN THE CASE OF BENCH-REST SHOOTERS, SOME OF MY FRIENDS ARE LEFTIES AND SHOOT A RIGHT HANDED RIFLE. BUT IN THIS INSTANCE, TIME AND RAPID SHOOTING ARE NOT A MAJOR FACTOR. I GUESS, IF I WERE A LEFTY, AND HUNTED, I WOLD DEFINITELY WANT A PORT-SIDED RIFLE AND WOULD DEFINITELY PURCHASE THEM............Lowall

Re: Left Hand Rifles - How much interest is there in "Ready To Ship" left hand rifles

I shot right handed bolt action for so many years that I don't feel comfortable with left handed guns. Don't make lots of quick shots anyway. I purchased a titanium Browning Mtn. Rifle in right handed, and it works o.k. because the safety is on the tang where I can reach it easily. But with that said, if Remington had made a left handed Mtn. Ti, I would have bought one years ago. I wouldn't consider buying a custom rifle in right hand.

I work with disabled sportsmen where the need for south paw equipment is extreme, but the demand is very low. Personally I would appreciate your L.L.C. building left hand rifles in the lower recoil cartridges. Unfortunately they would also require stocks made from wood or another material that can be hacked and wacked with very good results.

Yes Len, I believe you probably should offer a left hand version of your rifle. Being left handed myself, I have been forced over the years to accept what is available...I believe most left handed individuals are fairly adaptable; I am able to shoot bolt action rifles that are designed for right handed shooters *unless* they have a radical stock design that absolutely prohibits left hand operation.
That being said, I am not in the market for a left handed long range rifle at the moment as I already own a Weatherby MkV southpaw version that meets my needs.

Thanks for asking!

Len,

Several years back, I went through a second shoulder surgery on my right shoulder, leaving me unable to shoot or hunt right-handed for 2 years. I bought 2 off-the-shelf rifles and worked through the loads until I found a load that worked. Not that these 2 guns came close to my custom guns though.

I think there is a market out there for LH rifles. Probably 10 to 1.

Thanks for thinking of all shooters and hunters........

Hi Len , I cant quote to be an expert in this field by any means but a couple of pertinant observasions might help .!!!
I am one of an " identicle twin " we were both right handed untill my brother lost his l/h fore finger when he was 6 yrs old ( long story "girls " )Anyway since his recovery he has been left handed ?????? don't ask me or his mom why !!
However this has never spoilt his activities apart from the fact that there was never any left handed anything in our days !!! the answer was become ampi-dexterous . well my brother has achieved that and today can ably shoot as well left handed as right handed !! TO be honest i see far better shooting left handed myself
now as that eye is stronger !! ( a twin thing maybe )
But i really think that if a left handed rifle was as easy to get as it is now ( not that it is easy now just a sh#t lot easier than back then ) I think my brother would have had a far easier hunting experience than he has had .
To me an available supply of left hand rifles not only makes business sense but also will benefit millions of " kak handed shooters / hunters !!

The 10% statistics that many of you keep quoting is for LEFT HANDED PEOPLE not LEFT HANDED SHOOTERS! If you look up statistics on eye domiancy (which is or should determine what side you shoot on) is consistantly quoted in many studies between 28 and 30%. There are already (me included) been 5-6 guys that posted on here alone the fact that they are right handed but shoot left due to eye dominance.if you really wanna find out your market len then call surgion, stiller, mcmillan, pierce and manners and see what percentage of their products are sold in left hand to their CIVILIAN ( not military or LE) markets! I would put a cool $20 bet that its not 10% but closer to 20%. On another note lets give a righty a left hand gun and see how well he does (try it len then you will understand). This is a buisiness and not emotions so all these side stories about some buddy or whatever and not facts is kinda getting old. If you want fast turn around and a good action in left hand call jim pierce. I see lots of smaller either gun shops or smiths that don't look at their buisiness decisions with facts. I'm glad your doing that len. Most of what you see people offer is what "they feel will sell" and not analizing their market for its sales potential. Look at it this way, you can never sell a rifle you won't make or stock. I have made or are making 3 rifles this year. If you would have offered them left hand you would probably got my buisiness. But I can't buy what you don't have.

Interesting idea, it takes me longer than 4-8 weeks to get just a barrel delivered. If you could minimize your investment by just keeping a couple of actions in stock and be able to fill the right hand bolt cut out in stocks to accomodate lefties it could open more of the market without tying up a lot of capital.

I'm always interested in left handed rifles.

Lefties.jpg

My immediate action would be that delivery time is not that high on a prioritized list of purchase criteria for a specialized long range rifle. Since everything has a business cost, or trade-off, I suspect you would get a better payback by fucusing on other elements of your offering. Customer demand would also improve. I recently purchased a a long range rifle package. While I certainly wanted it tomorrow, I traded off delivery time for other more important requirements. Like many,, I already had rifles that I use for LR shooting, and the purchase of a custom platform was viewed as a an investment that would stand above my other rigs and hold a dominate position for a long time. It was well worth the wait.

How many LH rifles do you sell in a month? 6 months? Does that make it cost effective to stock a couple of LH actions? What is the waiting time when you order a action? Maybe you just need to keep the option of a build if someone has a need. I would rather custon order a rifle and get it built with what I want on it. I just got thru building a rifle,it took 8 months. The wait was worth it.

My 15-year old son just could not shoot well from the bench until someone said, "you are right handed, but left eyed - try shooting left handed" and he was great. I too am right handed but left eyed.

So the population of left hand bench rest shooting might be (a) bigger than 10%, and (b) something that might grow as people realize that left eyed people should shoot left handed from the bench.

My son and I still shoot pistols right handed, just tilt your head a little and shoot with both eyes open.

BEING A SOUTHPAW it realy sucks to get quality products. it would be great to see more options avalible to us. Waiting a couple of months to get a to get a custom rifle would be quite fine. Email me a price list when you make a decision. Thanks for thinking about us.

Savage300

Good morning

I have decided to order in a bunch of left hand actions and stocks. They will arrive in early December. I will wait for orders to build specific left hand rifles -- unlike currently for my "ready to ship" right hand rifles.

Normally completion for left hand rifle orders will be in 4 to 6 weeks from order -- same as for right hand orders. I am taking pre-orders now but obviously for these pre-orders the time line is dependent on initial component delivery.

Since at this time I expect that I will NOT be charging higher pricing for left hand than I charge for right hand, the pricing can be seen here right now.

Custom, precision, left hand long range hunting rifles

take the two most popular calibers (based on order history) and keep those ready to ship.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.