Custom Left Hand Rifles - 4 to 6 week completion times on left hand rifles

Re: Left Hand Rifles - How much interest is there in "Ready To Ship" left hand rifles

Being a lefty, I would like to see more of them out there, but Im not sure if it would be worth your while. Your not making money if they are sitting in the shop. As long as you can have one done in say 8weeks or so, I wouldn't be concerned with stocking them. If you were to, I would stick to more mainstream Cartridges like the 300rum, 7stw, and 260rem.

Re: Left Hand Rifles - How much interest is there in "Ready To Ship" left hand rifles

As a southpaw i'm so used to not having anything that even remotely resembles what i'm looking for, this is intriguing; it could fill a niche, but demand will never be what it is for righties. Who knows, a couple to "test the water" might not be a bad idea...but what caliber???:rolleyes:

If you were to, I would stick to more mainstream Cartridges like the 300rum, 7stw, and 260rem.

I am relying on this POLL at LRH for cartridges to determine what is mainstream.

Poll-cartridge-5-22-11.jpg

More likely, for lefty's I would not stock completed ones but rather offer the "4 to 6 weeks" timing.

Well, Len, I can tell you this.
When I pull up LRH on the computer, the first thing I go to is the classified sections to see what left handed goodies are up for sale. So............for me, it is always nice to see rifles, especially custom ones up for sale. I also don't think that a 4 to 6 week waiting period is too bad.

my two cents worth.

Randy

I'm not in the market for a new rifle right now but as a lefty the 4 to 6 week option would be very attractive as opposed to waiting months for a traditional build. My 2/100ths of a dollar.

Len,

This is new area for me, cause I'm right handed, but 3 of my 4 sons are Leftys. My oldest is coming of age to start hunting and I have started him out on a semi custom ruger M77 mkII in a .243 AI. right handed model.

I'm not ready to buy Left handed rifles just to find out that they don't want to hunt. I am interested in abidexterous rifles like Ruger no. 1s. But It only seems natural that those who are leftys would want to shoot what us right handed guys have. So, I think there is a small market for the left handed rifles.

I would keep it as a 4-6 week option, just don't get carried away with a left handed premium price as that would bring unwanted critisizim (dang, I cant spell worth a darn).

Just my opinion,

Dan

Because I can be an impulse buyer at times, I can assure you that if there were lefties available since I've been a member, I would likely have purchased at least one per year maybe more. But since I've become used to waiting, a 4-6 week time frame is no bother at all. That said, I order fewer as well.

So, for the impulse buyer, stocking a handful isn't a bad idea. I have had 9 custom rifles built in the last 5 years and have had to wait much longer than 4-6 weeks. If I found something close to what I had in mind, I would have bought them. I also go to several sites and go straight to the classifieds.

In fact, I'm waiting on a 270 right now that I hope to be shooting prior to Oct 1. Placed the order last Christmas.

I am a lefty and new to this site. I am in need of a left hand rifle to build on so I dont think i'm your target market from a price perspective. That said, i wish more people would show an interest in providing for us south-paws. The day will come that i want to invest in a high-end rifle and my money goes to the guy who offers a left-handed unit.

Sean

Here's my idea for you. Stock the actions, magnum, long and short or lets say 3 magnums, 2 long and 2 short. Have the stocks pre bedded to the actions in left hand and then sell them like this or advertise them this way:
2 weeks till it ships, left hand (insert stock, action and barrel description) and then say in (for example) 264 win, 7mm stw, 300 win. You have the barrel blanks and can cerecoat them so instead of one extreme or another you have them prebedded and all you have to do is chamber, cerecoat and headspace (not in that order) and it simplifies how much inventory you have while still having as close to "ready to ship" as you can without all the cost and inventory. What I would say is look at how fast anything left hand is sold in your classifieds! They never take long and us lefties are way more used to paying substantially more than righties. We also go the custom route faster since there are so few " non-custom" options. You would be filling a niche and in this economy anything that gives you an edge is good. Let me.know since I need a 6 mm something.

I am a lefty as well as my father and my son. I have purchased six custom lefty rifles. I have 3 lefty ARs as well. I am always looking for something in lefty. My next purchase will be 338 edge in lefty of course. To have options is a good thing and 4-6 week is a breeze. I have waited 18+ months for a few customs. They were worth it. Anything that is good is worth the wait.

I'm a lefty also and in ~2 years I'll be buying my first custom from someone...likely 338 edge

Being left handed I would look at stocks with ambi features more than lefthand righthand only. While prone using my right hand to work the bolt while my left stays has never bothered me at all. Off hand shots I bring the rifle down and work the action with my right hand. Not quite as fast with follow up shots though. Never owned a lefthanded gun, learned with a righthanded and never looked back. Just my 2 cents.

Brent

Here's my idea for you. Stock the actions, magnum, long and short or lets say 3 magnums, 2 long and 2 short. Have the stocks pre bedded to the actions in left hand and then sell them like this or advertise them this way:
2 weeks till it ships, left hand (insert stock, action and barrel description) and then say in (for example) 264 win, 7mm stw, 300 win. You have the barrel blanks and can cerecoat them so instead of one extreme or another you have them prebedded and all you have to do is chamber, cerecoat and headspace (not in that order) and it simplifies how much inventory you have while still having as close to "ready to ship" as you can without all the cost and inventory. What I would say is look at how fast anything left hand is sold in your classifieds! They never take long and us lefties are way more used to paying substantially more than righties. We also go the custom route faster since there are so few " non-custom" options. You would be filling a niche and in this economy anything that gives you an edge is good. Let me.know since I need a 6 mm something.

Ready to assemble ,generic actions and stocks with an assortment of barrel blanks on hand seems a logical plan.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.