Custom hunting .30-378

I reall like diversity of the bushnell 6500 but for a scope with that much magnification I think they need to make target/tactical turrets for it.

and broz that's a fine bull man. Where did you kill him? You from osage beach, missouri? Growing up in st.charles I spend darn near every summer down near Tan-Tar-A.

That was my 2007 bull from Montana, killed with my 30-378 accumark and 210 Bergers. I live right on Lake of the Ozarksl in fact I have 3 lake front homes for sale here. If they ever sell I will be in Montana. I have spent as much time as I can there for several years. I just want a small place out of town up there somewhere.

Jeff

Southernfryed
Yeah, I agree with you on the turret issue with the 6500. I think the Elite 4200 6-24x50 has them on it. I was thinking something more along the lines of a 2.5/4-16x42; but we'll see. I suppose now that I have the gun approval from all of the guys on the board, my next decision is a scope. So, I'll get to reading on that.

Broz
Pretty small world eh? Where abouts in Montana are you looking? My sister and I drove through there this past summer, and it was a dang postcard. The views and landscapes on the western side were awesome.

Leupold would be the best option on the accumark. I had a sako trgs and weatherby accumark in 30-378. If i had to do it again, i would have a recoil pad, mercury reducer installed with the muzzlebrake. i had trouble with a handful of scopes holding zero but leupold worked fine. I found most 180 gr loads were accurate between the 3300 to 3400 fps range with H50 BMG powder.

BGbasbhat, we are really liking the Helena / Townsend area. Here ya go, this is the Accumark I am selling to my buddy. 30-378 with a 3.5 x 15 x 56 Nightforce NXS. gun)gun)

DSC00930Large.jpg

DSC00929Large.jpg

Geeeeeeeeezzzzzzz Broz!!! That's pretty dern sweet. You sure you don't want to cut a deal to a good ol Missouri boy?!?!

All kiddin aside, I'll probably go with a leupold. Their solid, great warranty, and will do the job untill I can save up for a nightforce

Geeeeeeeeezzzzzzz Broz!!! That's pretty dern sweet. You sure you don't want to cut a deal to a good ol Missouri boy?!?!

All kiddin aside, I'll probably go with a leupold. Their solid, great warranty, and will do the job untill I can save up for a nightforce

Yep, I would grab that Lupy 8.5 x 25 x 50 Ernie just put up for sale. That is a great deal.

Jeff

THATS AWESOME!!! How does she shoot? Is that an HS Precision stock?

It's the factory B&C stock with aluminum bed and pillars. Then I epoxy bedded the action to that. It shoots 210 Bergers 1/2 moa to 500. We are just getting ready to stretch her legs to 1000 and see how she does. Just put the NF on it and Scope level came today.

Jeff

That is a pretty nice scope, and a good deal for it. I'm a bit skeptical of that range though. 8.5 on the low end seems pretty high if I were to get a sub-100 yard shot. I would hate to walk up on a grizz, and not be able to get the whole thing in view!

Last edited:
for the original poster,

Im curious why you chose this chambering for grizzly hunt. I guess if I were starting from scratch for those critters, I would go bigger first, and then faster second. I know its going to work because slower 30 cals have been doing the job for years. Just wondering.

for the original poster,

Im curious why you chose this chambering for grizzly hunt. I guess if I were starting from scratch for those critters, I would go bigger first, and then faster second. I know its going to work because slower 30 cals have been doing the job for years. Just wondering.

Bajabill
I arrived at this caliber for a couple reasons. First, this hunt is probably not going to be a frequent trip for me (unfortunately). So, I didn't want to buy a gun that I would only have the opportunity to use once or twice. For example, the .33s or the .375s would be ideal for grizzly; but I would only be able to use it for bear/moose/elk... None of which I could see myself hunting more than once or twice in my lifetime. I figured a beefy .30 would be enough for grizz; but would also have the versatility for deer or anything else; which I would be able to hunt for almost every year.
Second, I wanted a caliber that was unique. Everybody and their dog has a 300winmag/rum/wsm, and they are fantastic calibers. But as a personal preference, I wanted something different. I am planning to handload, so factory ammo availability/price for a unique caliber is somewhat irrelevant....
Third, I liked the Mark V action of the weatherbys. I was attracted to the strength, pull, and the uniqueness of it's design.
Being that I'm more of a speed/flat/smaller cal fan, the 30-378 offered the speed, power, versatility, uniqueness, and action that I wanted.........now if I can only save up the $!!!!!!!!

if i could afford a bear hunt i think the cost of a rifle would be irrevelant. being from south texas and never having ventured past colorado, i think a .338 mag or .375 mag would be better considering the hunted can become the hunter. if your set on the big 30, nosler 200 gr partitions would work well. good luck.

if i could afford a bear hunt i think the cost of a rifle would be irrevelant. being from south texas and never having ventured past colorado, i think a .338 mag or .375 mag would be better considering the hunted can become the hunter. if your set on the big 30, nosler 200 gr partitions would work well. good luck.

Pjracer
I'm right with ya on the bullet selection. Partitions or accubonds are at the top of my list. I might go up to the 220s but will start with the 200s.
Oh yeah and on the "hunter becomes hunted" my dad will have a .338 and guide will have a .375, just in case!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.