Custom hunting .30-378

first, shot placment is more important than cartridge.
years back my father killed a large grizzly with 1 shot with a 180 gr. 3006. that said, i have 2 30x378s which i use for long range hunting.
both built by howard wolfe of mifflinburg pa. who was probably more influential in the development of that cartridge than any other person, dating back to the late 50s. the only action he will use other than a custom, is a weatherby.
i have 1 on a weatherby, which is a shorter version case, it has a 30" barrel.
i have a full legnth version that is on a custom wolfe action, and it has a 36" barrel.
full velocity potential of the standard legnth case cant be achieved on a barrel less than about 32"
the factory weatherby with its 26" barrel is based on using 180 gr. bullets in order to achieve their advertised velocity.
the 300 rum, would be about an equal cartridge using that legnth barrel.
i would be looking for a remington sendero in 300rum which you will find in good used for about $800.

Pjracer
I'm right with ya on the bullet selection. Partitions or accubonds are at the top of my list. I might go up to the 220s but will start with the 200s.
Oh yeah and on the "hunter becomes hunted" my dad will have a .338 and guide will have a .375, just in case!!!!

Watch this FASTER THAN PEPPER SPRAY A LIL MORE DEADLY TO

YouTube - Shooting Rem 700 375 Rum

yobuck
Dually noted on shot placement over cartridge, speed, or power. I do understand the concept, and can add that probably more bears have been killed in AK with a .30-06 than any other cartidge.
Your recommendation on a .300 RUM is probably the more practical and cost effective choice.....however, as I stated in a couple other posts, commonality is not my favorite thing. I'm not rich by any means; but I'm fine with paying extra for something unique and different. Among other reasons, I found it amusing and gratifying when I told my dad about the .30-378, and he replied, "What the hell is that?"

Southernfryed
That's a pretty cool video for sure. I think there is a place for bear spray; but that guy is pretty awesome flipping that rifle around. As long as he's doing it safely, it looks like a pretty cool skill to master.

What the heck is this guy trying to prove???

I dont necessarily think he was trying to prove anything except you would be better off having a gun that you can use, control and kill quickly, rather than use, spray, hope for the best or die quickly.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.