Cheap 30-378 Weatherby mag

hjl

Yes I know cheap & 30-378 don't go together.
What are my best options for a cheap 30-378?
Brass & powder is cheap compared to the cost of a rifle.
Would like to hear all ideas.
Is the best to buy a second hand accumark? These are very hard to find in Australia.
Regards.
hjl

What about rechambering a CZ [Brno] in 300 win mag?
Is the mag box on the cz 300 wm the same as the 375 h&h etc so it will be long enough for the 30-378?
Regards.
hjl

HJl

look for an accumark in 30/378 they are guaranteed
to shoot under 1&1/2 MOA and most will do much better
they come with a kriger barrel and the actions are
very strong.

Mine shot .700 to .800moa but I could'nt leave it alone
so I set the sholder back .010" and touched the chamber
to a headspace of .oo1" and now it shoots under .200"
5 shot groups.

I personally dont like muzzle breaks so I decided to build
a 30/378 with a heavy(#7 taper 28") barrel and no break with
very good results. Best group to date is a 100rd 5 shot .092
off of sand bags.

By the way I used a weatherby MK 5 action.

The 30/378 is a great long range weapon but the ammo
is very expensive unless you reload.

Good luck Down Under
J E CUSTOM

JE Custom
Thank you for your reply.
An accumark is propably the way to go.New they are expensive [around $3000] here in Australia. Second hand hard to find.
Regards.
hjl

The cheapest you will likely find would be a Mark V Synthetic or Sako TRGS. A Mark V Fibermark would also be cheaper than the Accumark.

James

James H is right - see my signature. Did the Synthetic Matte about 8 years ago for about $800, so a used one should be in the same ballpark and I got the Fibermark 13 months ago for $1020. Leupolds drive up the cost a little, but you need something good. They both rip groups that will make you forget Accumarks - both have brakes by the way.

Get one and have fun.

30-378
Thanks for the reply. I don't know if they import the cheap Weatherby's into Australia. I have never seen one for sale. I have seen accumark's listed.
Great minds think alike. I have a 7mm STW too. Thinking of getting a 30-378. Do they kick much more than a 7mm STW?
Regards.
hjl

[ QUOTE ]

Thinking of getting a 30-378. Do they kick much more than a 7mm STW?
Regards.
hjl

[/ QUOTE ]
Is the Pope Catholic?
I also have a 7mm STW and there is quite a bit of difference between the STW and the 30-378 in recoil.
At the bench I shoot the 30-378 with a brake on it but for hunting I remove the brake. The only thing I notice about the recoil of the 30-378 while hunting is the increased sight recovery time because of muzzle rise, otherwise it isn't noticed.
I don't know if I would want to shoot it prone without the brake, because of the muzzle rise you might get "eyed" by the scope.

James

I don't know how much harder they kick - I leave my muzzle brakes on all of the time and recoil that way is neglible to say the least. I shoot 140 Ballistic Tips out of the 7mm STW at 3500 and 150 Ballitstic Tips out of the .30-378 at 3700, so I would assume that with 25 more grains of H4831SC and 10 more grains of bullet weight, the .30-378 should be fairly healthy on the recoil, but not outrageous by any means. I do know that the Weatherby with a brake is the loudest rifle I have ever shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.