What Gunsmith will accurize/rebarrel a Weatherby 30-378?

ceg1963

First, this is a great site... please keep it going!

I'm new here and was curious if any body here knew of a great gunsmith who will accurize and rebarrel a Weatherby 30-378? I live in the Fort Benning Georgia area, but shipping would not be a problem. If it can be accurized, will the charges be higher because it is not a main stream accuracy action?

I ask this because many Smiths only want to deal with a custom action, M70 or M700. It is for my friend. He has burned his factory barrel, and I am trying to get him into true long range work staring from his current rifle.

Thanks in advance

charles

There are several great smiths on this site! I'm sure there is one close by you also and someone here can possibly provide a name and contact info for you. Good luck!

Life with a weatherby is not simple as you are beginning to understand. When you rebarrel you will need to make several decisions. None of which do I know the answer to. Weatherby has long throats. Long throats are good for velocity and pressure and not so good for accuracy with short bullets. On the other hand a long throat will allow you to seat long bullets way on out. Barrel twist needs to be thought out. Barrel lenght and diameter have to determined. Neck diameter needs to be specified. You need to specify barrel maker.

I had mine put at factory specs being as the first time I didn't have a clue about what I was asking for and the second time because I did not need anything special.

I bought my first weatherby in Pheonix City while I was stationed at Ft Benning.

Roll Tide.

I am originally from Alabama and if none of the gunsmiths on this site offer to help you in the next couple of days, I will send you the name of a guy in Alabama who can help you.

Don't usually pimp myself but nobody else seems to be suggesting anything so I'll throw in a plug here.

I can and will work on other stuff besides Rem 700s (as long as it's not a Mauser!!! LOL!!!!)
Give me a call and we'll see what we can do. 816-820-5129

ceg1963,

Doing that exact thing right now on a Wby MkV. Rebarreling with a Lilja and chambering in 338 Kahn(338-378 Wby w/35 degree shoulder angle).

Wbys are pretty easy to work on, just need different accurizing tooling for the larger receiver bore diameter.

Kirby Allen (50)

[ QUOTE ]
First, this is a great site... please keep it going!

[/ QUOTE ]
This is by far the best site I've found for long range shooting (hunting).
[ QUOTE ]

I live in the Fort Benning Georgia area,

[/ QUOTE ]
Infantry? Jumper?

Thanks Chris Mathews and Fiftydriver for your assistance.

I did have one other question though. Can you open the bolt face up on a Weatherby V, like you can a M700 Remington?

Example: Rechamber a 7mm Mag or .270 Win to the powerful .338-.378 or even the .338 Kahn?

This site is the best!

Big bore, I am both Airborne and a current Ranger. This summer I am heading off to my next assignment with the airborne brigade going into Fort Richardson, Alaska.

Thanks RLTW!

b1g_b0re,

Sorry, I do not recommend the Savage. I am not saying that it would not physically handle the round as a single shot platform but I have not seen enough data on the conversion to do it for a customer.

The easiest way to do it is start with a Rem 700 LA and convert it to single shot with a permanently bonded bottom insert and then open the bolt face up to the big Wby case size and fit a M-16 style extractor designed for the 338 Lapua case.

You have the receiver, you have the barrel, do you want 3000 fps with a 300 gr pill? We could easily do it!!

Let me know. Your 375 is next so there is a bit of time to decide on the 338 front. IT will only work well as a single shot in the Rem 700 though in my opinion.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I have a savage chambered in a 30-338 laupa mag imp. The bolt face was opened up and then set up with the barrel nut. It works great I never had any problems with it even with warm loads, 150 interbonds at 3850 FPS.

I have a Wby MarkV that was built by Sisk , the job is top notch and the gun shoots way better that I ever expectd it to , The price was a little higher due to the bolt lugs having to be hand lapped.
Mine is a 30-06 Ai so I can't comment on the bolt face deal

There are many Gunsmiths that can Rebarrel a Weatherby.

Opening up the bolt face is easy and only requires
that the extractor be changed or reworked.

Lapping the lugs by hand is also easy because all you want
is to make full contact with 9 small lugs insted of 2 large
lugs.

Also I recomend a #5 taper or larger and at least A 26" tube

If you do not find a smith in your area let me know TEXAS has many that can help you

J E CUSTOM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts