Question about a Weatherby 30/378

texasdave

I have aquired a weatherby 30/378 in a trade. The rifle looks to be totally stock. It came with a leupold 6.5 x 20 40 mm scope on it but probably was not the scope that was used on the rifle as it is not zeroed. My question is for recomendations of what I should have done to this rifle to make it an accurate long range rifle. Being new at this I hoping to get some guidance. Thanks in advance for your replys

Well Dave, if you want to squeeze the most out of it, the first thing I would do is to have it blueprinted, pillar / glass bedded into a good quality custom stock, lugs lapped, bolt face trued, and then develop some good loads for it. Since you are going to go through that bbl VERY fast, don't be afraid to push the limit (bearing safety in mind of course) and see just what it'll do. Also, do yourself a favor and seat those bullets ALL THE WAY out to the lands and drop your charges back a couple grains. Depending on what part of Texas you live in, I might could give you an idea of where to take it. There is a custom shop here in Austin run by a GREAT, HONEST, smithy who specializes in these Weatherby's and I will NO ONE touch my rifles but him. Accuracy is his only concern. Drop me a line and we can chat some more as there are a few other things you might want to consider. Best of luck!

TH

Austin:
Thanks for the reply. I sent you an e-mail.
ThanksAgain
smile.gif
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.