Custom CRF action

I have had the bighorn and mausingfield, nucleus and archimedes (American rifle company). Of this my favorites are the mausingfield and archimedes (the cdg action I would think would similar but unknown). The mausingfield was better at feeding rebated or very short for action length rounds (284 in long action) most like due to large extractor engaging case head. The archimedes was a bit smoother as the extraction was handled differently. TL3/origin is slightly easier for barrels etc.

All are very good actions, just need to figure out your preferences. For what it is worth I now mainly have archimedes, lone peak (non crf), and tikka actions.

+1 for Zermatt/Bighorn TL3 or SR3 depending on if your planning on using a DBM or box mag too which one will work for you. I have a 7mm mag on a SR3 with remington feed lips using a H.S. precision DBM. Love it Never had a problem feeding with the belted cartridge and very smooth. Built a 6.5 PRC on a TL3 short action after the 7mm and used a Hawkings Hunter DBM feeding is a litte stiffer feeling but it's still breaking in. Both shoot amazing with proof prefit barrels.

If I were going to build a true controlled round feed? I would look for a Dakota 76 action. There are still a few of them floating around. They are pricey but smooth as butter and their quality is second to none. The last one I saw for sale was around $1500 NIB.

I have several zermatt actions. long and short. I have MRC long. I have a commercial Mauser long. A Defiance Hunter XM. All are control round feed. The smoothest is a Defiance Hunter XM CRF with claw extractor and three position safety. Tuning the feed system on all these actions is in the follower and follower spring. It takes an experienced Smith to fine tune the feeding, to it's best, With BDL type bottom. They all work well with DBM.
I primarily use Zermatt for several reasons. You can buy them off the shelf and not wait three months to a year. Versatile, change bolt heads to change cartridges, prefit barrels from several maker, quality machining, got the Remington footprint, stocks are easy to come by, and, with a few tools I can assemble myself.

I have several zermatt actions. long and short. I have MRC long. I have a commercial Mauser long. A Defiance Hunter XM. All are control round feed. The smoothest is a Defiance Hunter XM CRF with claw extractor and three position safety. Tuning the feed system on all these actions is in the follower and follower spring. It takes an experienced Smith to fine tune the feeding, to it's best, With BDL type bottom. They all work well with DBM.
I primarily use Zermatt for several reasons. You can buy them off the shelf and not wait three months to a year. Versatile, change bolt heads to change cartridges, prefit barrels from several maker, quality machining, got the Remington footprint, stocks are easy to come by, and, with a few tools I can assemble myself.

Do you have any issues with the safety locking on the Defiance? On my Dad's rifle if the bolt handle isn't all the way down you can't take the safety off.

Montana Rifle Co.
https://montanarifleco.com/

MRC 2022 RECEIVER

The all-new MRC 2022 receiver is a continuation of the original MRC 1999 receiver which is conceived in part from the pre-64 Model 70. Our controlled feed receiver is one of few on the market that is 100% fully machined from a 416 stainless steel blank. This provides the ultimate in precision and reliability.

View attachment 500823
View attachment 500824
View attachment 500825
Anybody know how to get one of these? MSRP is only $2495 for the wood and $2895 for the synthetic with Game Hunter McMillan stock and some nice Cerakoting. Says only built in 6.5 CM now but several others forthcoming, with .308 and .300 Win Mag first on the list. I've messaged the company via their site and fb. Will see if I get a response. Made in Michigan now. Not in Montana. Trigger adjustable to 2lbs. Lefties not available yet, but will be in both/all configurations.

Says barrels are proprietary, made in-house. 1:8 on the Creedmoor. The Creedmoor in wood weighs 7.5 lbs with 24" barrel and radial brake.

Last edited:
Montana Rifle Co. originally started out as barrel makers. This progressed into the action design and manufacturing processes. The purchase probably included all the barrel making equipment as well. If my memory is still intact, these will be button barrels.

As far as contacting them, I used the phone number a couple of months ago to have a very pleasant conversation with one of the staff. I did not pursue the idea of purchasing at that time. But my guess is that with their investment in time and equipment, they will respond readily enough.

:)

Montana Rifle Co. originally started out as barrel makers. This progressed into the action design and manufacturing processes. The purchase probably included all the barrel making equipment as well. If my memory is still intact, these will be button barrels.

As far as contacting them, I used the phone number a couple of months ago to have a very pleasant conversation with one of the staff. I did not pursue the idea of purchasing at that time. But my guess is that with their investment in time and equipment, they will respond readily enough.

They are button rifled. They do not mention what has changed/improved from the 99 version of the action, but looking at it and reading their manufacturing process, it's NOT the weight!! 7 1/2 pounds with a beautiful walnut stock isn't too heavy by any means, but like the Model 70 action, that thing looks SOLID! I'm a little bummed that I could ONLY get one in 6.5 Creedmoor at the moment.

Think I'll give them a buzz Monday. I mean honestly, I don't think it will be a better action than Zermatt, ARC, Defiance, or other aftermarket CRF actions. Wouldn't be surprised if tolerances wouldn't support pre-fits (but I also wouldn't be surprised if they WOULD!). It's just that small-batch production and that WOOD!! Who makesa beautiful wood stock anymore on a high end rifle? Weatherby... who else? Sauer, Mauser, Steyr on their mostly European models that would run more than $3000 here? After that, it's hiring Accurate Innovations to craft you one to fit what you have and that would start at about $2500 just for a decent piece of wood. I know chassis are more accurate and carbon fiber is lighter, but MAN I'd love to have just one AA+ - AAA grade wood on a premium action that weighed under 8 pounds and would kill houseflies on my 100yd target for under the price of a decent whitetail or mule deer hunt!

There's Cooper, but they're steep for a model with great wood! Then the question is which is better the Cooper Wilson barrels or the new 2022 barrels made in Michigan?? No one knows... YET.

They do not mention what has changed/improved from the 99 version of the action, but looking at it and reading their manufacturing process,

The biggest change to the action design is the manufacturing process for either.

The original 1999 model action was cast for them by Ruger then finish machined in house. The current model 2022 is fully machined from steel in house. The current owner is a precision machining company from the start.

The biggest change to the action design is the manufacturing process for either.

The original 1999 model action was cast for them by Ruger then finish machined in house. The current model 2022 is fully machined from steel in house. The current owner is a precision machining company from the start.

I waited too late to find anyone home today. Had a family medical emergency and other errands. Will try again tomorrow.

I'd suggest a nucleus, or an origin. I feel the ARC actions hold up to pressure a lil better. They proof their stuff to something stupid like 170k psi. I have several zermatts as well. I really like my Ti3 short action. Just built a new medium origin 65 Saum. I would go origin over tl3/sr3 because I like the swept bolt for a hunting rig, plus they have proper 240k pin fall. My Ti3 tl3 actions are only 200k pin fill. I think the origin has more consistent ignition with slower magnum powders, at the slite expense of a bit more bolt lift.