Custom Actions whats the best bang for your buck

the 6br was originally built for a short action. I run a 6brx for all my prs rigs with mag kits in on defiance deviants. When I shot benchrestI ran 6br and all the improved versions on various actions all being short actions. You do not need a special action to run a 6br or any of it's variants.
Ok, that doesn't sound like a reason not to consider 6GT and skip the mag kits.

I know 6BR and improved versions are great but I hear the same about 6GT and logistically they are close to the same, maybe 6GT has less reloading dies?

I would rather just grab a standard AICS mag and go. Simplicity is a virtue.

Oops. I replied to the wrong one.

26 ". I have several Bartlein barrels and they all shoot great.
Thanks Ron, I've found 26" barrel lengths to be a happy medium, and you definitely have some excellent shooting rifles. I do have one dedicated target rifle with 28" barrel.
Bartlein is a all around great company :) I really enjoying conversing with Bartlein's Reps. Our current Order is for a 26" 7mm mag with a RH gain twist of 9.4" to 8.7":1"

Kelbly makes a good action, have a few. Impact is sweet, have one as well. Have a few terminus actions and I REALLY like them. Have run a few defiance actions and they are nice too. I like the 60°lift on my hunting rifles as I run scope as low as possible and the bolt clears eyepiece easy. My prs rig is the impact and have the scope a bit higher for clearance, no issues. The impact needed a dif hanger to get rid of the cock on close but still maintained 0.240" pin fall after. The kelbly is smooth, easy bolt lift, but I prefer integral rail/recoil lug, and I dislike the bolt stops. The regular breaks often, and the extreme requires tools to pull bolt.

Last edited:
And then of course there is Mausingfield which I haven't seen anyone mention. But that's probably one of, if not THE most expensive action on the market.

The Nucleus has been mentioned and it is much cheaper.

I think ARC should try to build a budget version Mausingfield. I don't think anything about it should be more difficult to manufacture than a Nucleus except maybe the extractor.

The original 2019 Mausingfield model looked like exactly that except they were not going to lower the price, then they totally redesigned it and the Archimedes too (which is why I waited on my action and chassis so long).

If you don't want a two lug bolt, I think the Archimedes actually has the best value from ARC. It has features you won't find anywhere else but not everyone needs all of the features and for them Nucleus is great.

If you want a two lug bolt and value pricing, ARC doesn't have anything yet and unless you order a presale action when they introduce a budget action, there are other actions that you can buy off the shelf for less.

As much as I like my Nucleus and Archimedes, I see them as a premium product, not a budget choice. I also hear about some other products being amazing but I have never tried them so I could be missing out.

I have a tenacity (long action), stiller, two curtis axioms, and a terminus zeus. I like them all, if you like short bolt throw go Curtis or Terminus. That said, my stiller shoots just as well as anything I've ever had and i really like it for a hunting action, same with the tenacity.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.