Best Bang for your Buck ....

Actually if you could shoot .01 size groups all day you would be the champion of the universe. Benchrest is a game of ags. The winner of the Super Shoot which is the premier match of the yr typically will ag around .02. Sure there are lots of zeros shot but remember it's an ag game. One screamer group doesn't win. Problem the op is going to run into is for benchrest compatition is you need to make weight of 10.5 or 13.5 pounds. Also there are restrictions on the stock like the drop in the toe has to be no flatter than a certain angle. Best option is to buy a proven used rifle and start practicing. With good barrels you can be competitive. None of the factory rifles are going to be even close. If all you want to do is club shoots that don't restrict your rifle the savage in 6br is really hard to beat. If you want to learn and shoot the real matches you will need a gun purpose built for it. But no matter how good your rifle is most important part is wind reading. So just get a good rifle and practice shooting over flags before long you won't want to shoot without flags. Number one tip is to go join a club and find a mentor to help get you started off right. That alone will speed up your process and save you lots of money.
Good luck and have fun.
Shep

When you say benchrest, are you talking IBS or NBRSA?? In these it is all custom builds. 0.01" group gets you "thanks for attending" I believe Mr. McMillian's world record still stands, 0.009"
And what distance... Score shooting or group shooting?

If you are not sure, and you want to cover all the bases, go with a 6mmBR chamber.

Actually if you could shoot .01 size groups all day you would be the champion of the universe. Benchrest is a game of ags. The winner of the Super Shoot which is the premier match of the yr typically will ag around .02. Sure there are lots of zeros shot but remember it's an ag game. One screamer group doesn't win. Problem the op is going to run into is for benchrest compatition is you need to make weight of 10.5 or 13.5 pounds. Also there are restrictions on the stock like the drop in the toe has to be no flatter than a certain angle. Best option is to buy a proven used rifle and start practicing. With good barrels you can be competitive. None of the factory rifles are going to be even close. If all you want to do is club shoots that don't restrict your rifle the savage in 6br is really hard to beat. If you want to learn and shoot the real matches you will need a gun purpose built for it. But no matter how good your rifle is most important part is wind reading. So just get a good rifle and practice shooting over flags before long you won't want to shoot without flags. Number one tip is to go join a club and find a mentor to help get you started off right. That alone will speed up your process and save you lots of money.
Good luck and have fun.
Shep
Good post, but IBS is 17lbs for long range (600 - 1000 yards) light gun, and Heavy gun, well... No cranes allowed. Not nearly as finicky about stocks, but no brakes that port gases rearward.
My local club for 100 yard score only, is basically run what ya brung, but it better be 30BR or a 6mm BR variant if you want to contest for bragging rights.

Last edited:
The savage target rifle in 6br. Every one I've tried shot great. They need real pillars and bedding to really shine.
Shep
That's how we suck newbys into the money chasm; start off with a reasonable rig and get a taste of it.... Next thing you know, you need a trigger, then a scope that costs more than most guns, then a new Farley or SEB rest, then ream the barrel for a 6BRA, then a glass stock with a weight kit in it... then a new barrel...And don't get me started on tools!!!

Mosbuerg 6.5 Something,,, they are $399 Cnd funds,,, $299 Usd unless you find one on sale for $200,,, deadly accurate from the 4 I've seen on the range...

Beautifully wood grain stocks on them as well,,, nothing like a rustic look...

Cheers from the North

upload_2019-10-31_16-57-37.gif

I am happy for those who have had a great experience with Savage. Mine was not that great, for a lefty 6.5x284 hunting rifle, now re-barreled, restocked, still needs a better trigger (but I readily admit to being spoiled with a 4 ounce benchrest trigger).

Tikkas chassis rifle, dont have the nomenclature off the top of.my head. Guns and ammo, or some mag , tested one last year. Shot really good for a stock piece with factory ammo. In 6.5 creed , they got an average in the .10s with hornady match 140s. All the ammo they used shot great , but the hornady shot crazy good .

Yup The op didn't specify what benchrest he wants to shoot. If at all. Maybe he just wants br accuracy. Pretty vague opening. I personally sold all my 100-200 yard guns and now shoot 1000 yard br. Light Gun is 17 pounds and heavy is unlimited. Mine is 75 pounds. At Williamsport we shoot 10 shot groups for both classes. Most other ranges shoot 5 for light gun. Believe me 5 shots is way easier. I think f-class guns can weigh different depending on what you shoot off of. Rest or bipod. I can't shoot f-class because of neck surgery but would if I could. So if the op can give us more info we could answer his question better.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.