Custom Actions whats the best bang for your buck

JGemballa

I shoot PRS and also do a lot of hunting and just built a 6.5 creedmoor on a Defiance Tenacity action , with Bartlein barrel and this gun has been a pleasure to work with , been an absolute tack driver and has given no problems at all for the first thousand rounds.
My question is I am ready to start another build for PRS , this one will probably be a 6BR , and I am perplexed about what action to start with , should I spend the $1400 on an Impact or Deviant , or stick with the Tenacity or maybe a Bighorn , since I kinda like the mechanical ejector and stay with the $900-$1000 actions?
I guess I'm asking if the extra $400 is worth it ?

It's my understanding that Dasher is a hot rod version of 6BR and 6GT is an upgrade of Dasher to fit short action magazines better for reliable feeding.

It might be a better upgrade to go with a cartridge designed to work in common actions rather than trying to find an action that works well with 6BR.

That will pretty much allow you to chose for features or preference instead of which actions work with short cases.

A 6BR custom rifle builder should be a great resource. Here's another helpful site that should help on the feeding issue

I just built a 6 GT PRS rifle using the Impact action, Area 419 prefit Bartlein 1-7 barrel, APA gen 3 brake, Bix n Andy 2 stage trigger, and a Manners PRS2 stock. It is a tack driver. I have shot many .15 MOA 5 shot groups and a few less than .10 MOA 3 shot groups @ and beyond 300 yards. No gunsmithing involved. My other Impact PRS style rifle is a 6.5 PRC and it also a sub 1/4 MOA rifle.

I say the actions are outstanding and worth it. I like the fact that you can order prefit barrels for other cartridges when you want something new.

I just built a 6 GT PRS rifle using the Impact action, Area 419 prefit Bartlein 1-7 barrel, APA gen 3 brake, Bix n Andy 2 stage trigger, and a Manners PRS2 stock. It is a tack driver. I have shot many .15 MOA 5 shot groups and a few less than .10 MOA 3 shot groups @ and beyond 300 yards. No gunsmithing involved. My other Impact PRS style rifle is a 6.5 PRC and it also a sub 1/4 MOA rifle.

I say the actions are outstanding and worth it. I like the fact that you can order prefit barrels for other cartridges when you want something new.
Ron, what is the length of your barrels? I've been more than pleased with my Bartlein barrels 😊

I have a Bighorn SR3 and love it. It is nice not throwing your brass all over creation. Being able to change bolt face and service bolt with no tools is a plus. All the custom actions above are superior and you really can't say any are bad. Choose which characteristics suit your style and requirements best.

I have a Bighorn SR3 and love it. It is nice not throwing your brass all over creation. Being able to change bolt face and service bolt with no tools is a plus. All the custom actions above are superior and you really can't say any are bad. Choose which characteristics suit your style and requirements best.
26 ". I have several Bartlein barrels and they all shoot great.

It's my understanding that Dasher is a hot rod version of 6BR and 6GT is an upgrade of Dasher to fit short action magazines better for reliable feeding.

It might be a better upgrade to go with a cartridge designed to work in common actions rather than trying to find an action that works well with 6BR.

That will pretty much allow you to chose for features or preference instead of which actions work with short cases.

the 6br was originally built for a short action. I run a 6brx for all my prs rigs with mag kits in on defiance deviants. When I shot benchrestI ran 6br and all the improved versions on various actions all being short actions. You do not need a special action to run a 6br or any of it's variants.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.