Cost of a Custom Rifle with Glass

First of all I am not a precision Marksman, I am an older guy, and enjoy hunting and shooting in general, this was my experience during the pandemic. Although I have always desired higher end rifles, when I was younger I could not justify the cost with putting two kids through college and the typical costs of raising a family. As I got older, decided do the things now, or they will never get done. When I was working corporate I helped out a division in South Africa, the gents there invited me to go on a hunt, at time as much as I wanted to go I could not find and purchase a suitable rifle.

Now many years later that hunt is on my bucket list, I decided to purchase a 375 caliber rifle in either 375 H & H or 375 Ruger. To my dismay, there were none to be found for purchase that I had thought would be suitable. As a result I did go the custom route. As I explored the options I did reach out to Weatherby and others, and was told the timing of a rifle build and if they could do it at all, most custom rile companies were only doing smaller calibers.

I did find a barrel manufacturer named Shaw, and they did build rifles. I had a custom 375 Ruger built, it is on a Savage action but does not have the barrel nut, it has stainless steel action, the action is CIP length to allow for longer bullets, it has a DBM, it has bedded H & S precision stock. The fit and finish of the rifle was very good, the barrel is stainless, 26" long, hand lapped. Besides putting on a 20 MOA rail, Vortex matched 34mm rings I did swap out the spring of the accutrigger set at 2.4lbs, which I kept instead of the timney I had purchased(timney did not function properly with the safety). It is topped with a Vortex strike eagle 5 x 25 x56 FFP. Which I used during break-in and sight-in, initial MOA using Buffalo bore ammo was about 0.75 it will get tighter. I still have to install the arca rail for use on a tripod and the adjustable cheek rest. Other items purchased, big stainless brake (can post the vendor nice guy) and an Indian creek blast shield that is over my brake, deflects sound and concussion away from me and other shooters on the sides of me. The recoil with the indian creak device on goes directly into my shoulder, and it looks like a mini suppressor. I was able to obtain the rifle and components purchased, for about, $1900.00, without glass. (I did get a deal on the build of about $500.00 off for the rifle build, during the pandemic) I went less on the glass about $600.00 but for my purposes it will work, I did purchase a light weight Razor LHT I may swap but don't believe it will be necessary. The build took about 9 months to get to me but I am very ☺ happy with the experience. As I will use this rifle for 3 specific hunts probably more as my health permits. I am very pleased with the process and really happy with the rifle. The only thing I would have done differently is have the barrel fluted for weight reduction, have them install another trigger and install the adjustable cheek rest. If anyone is interested in the actual cost breakdown I could find my receipts. The full weight with scope without the adjustable cheek-rest and ARCA rail is under 11lbs.
Would that be Shaw Barrels in Bridgeville Pa ? I have been looking at some of their rifles & barrels. And almost ordered a barrel. But I would like to hear some good feedback before I do. A few rifles have caught my eye also. Their prices are reasonable IMO. If they have a good product.

Would that be Shaw Barrels in Bridgeville Pa ? I have been looking at some of their rifles & barrels. And almost ordered a barrel. But I would like to hear some good feedback before I do. A few rifles have caught my eye also. Their prices are reasonable IMO. If they have a good product.
Years ago, I sent Shaw's a few barreled receivers and had them install new barrels, I was generally happy with the results.

$10 K for this Blaser. 😬. Not even a custom though undoubtably excellent quality

When I was building rifles, for myself too, the end cost was normally between AUD$6,000-$10,000.
You could have a complete custom using a REM 700 or Win Model 70 for AUD$5,000, but this isn't a true custom using an action specific to a custom. I mostly built switch barrels because our stupid laws does not limit barrels on ONE action, but limits total number of guns and cartridges. Maximum guns in the same cartridge is 5 unless you get special permission…

Cheers.

$10 K for this Blaser. 😬. Not even a custom though undoubtably excellent quality

For $10k it would need be exceptionally good, don't forget the finger behind the trigger has to do their part.

To each his own but I feel like if I hadn't done the biggest part of my build, I might as well just buy one and the build was most of the fun so far. I know that it's a lot of the dope behind the rifle. I had to get my barrel cut, threaded and chambered by someone else, although I had rechambered the original 7 RM by hand with a jig that I built and it shot good but not as good as the one done by my friend. I even tweaked the specs that I'd been given for the reamer. Not much, but some, just to be mine. When I went out shooting back then, I felt very happy to shoot a rifle that "I" built and a round with my touchs. It shot excellent for the little testing that I was able to do. I hunted with it 1 time and shot 1 time. I found at abut 300 yds. it really hits hard, too hard for that bullet at that yardage.

Bix'n'Andy.

Very popular with the benchrest/competition crowd. I think I honestly prefer a TT Diamond for anything other than a benchrest rifle, but BnA makes top quality stuff.
Oh yea, I've heard of them….didn't realize they were $400. I question how much better a trigger can be made over a Jewell.

To each their own.

To each his own but I feel like if I hadn't done the biggest part of my build, I might as well just buy one and the build was most of the fun so far. I know that it's a lot of the dope behind the rifle. I had to get my barrel cut, threaded and chambered by someone else, although I had rechambered the original 7 RM by hand with a jig that I built and it shot good but not as good as the one done by my friend. I even tweaked the specs that I'd been given for the reamer. Not much, but some, just to be mine. When I went out shooting back then, I felt very happy to shoot a rifle that "I" built and a round with my touchs. It shot excellent for the little testing that I was able to do. I hunted with it 1 time and shot 1 time. I found at abut 300 yds. it really hits hard, too hard for that bullet at that yardage.
I am interested in what you built. Tweaked specs, Pictures ? This comment really has me intrigued. " Bullet ?
I found at abut 300 yds. it really hits hard, too hard for that bullet at that yardage.