Cost of a Custom Rifle with Glass

Somebody may have already posted it and the podcast is now a bit aged, but....

Listened to this a while ago, maybe even a couple of years. Good discussion in the podcast. Worth the listen. Jeff is one of the mod's from longrangeonly.com and has built and had built a number of rifles.

TL:DR is that if you consider what your time is worth when hunting for parts, working up a load, etc with a DIY or even a custom rifle, Gunwerks prices for a turnkey solution are reasonable. Of course, how you choose to spend your time is your business. I notice that the price of a Gunwerks rifle is in the range of the customs in this thread.

Duckman11
Thanks for the response.
The guy throwing his rifle must be a Golfer that breaks his club every time he squirrels a shot.

The prices I put up were at midrange.
As far a Stocks go you can spend $150 up to $2,000 depending on the material and works done.
A MPA Matrix Pro Chassis is $1,500.00
We have several McMillan XIT Stocks at $1,100.00 then Inlet and Pillers $500+
Bipods could run $200-$1,000.
We have a custom made Front Rest made by the "Viper" and could go $2K+
We just started the post to see what some hunters/shooters are investing in a firearm.
Thanks
Len & Jill
$2,000 no optics, first six shots a hunting build. Zero load development too.
IMG_6455.jpeg

I have 2 builds from the last couple years.

High Tech Customs in CO Springs

3,200 and 3,400 for the rifles.

Both are trued remington 700 actions, lilja fluted barrels, 3 position safety, Rich's custom trigger (works with 3pos safety), mcmillan edge stocks, and cerakote. The 3pos safety on the remington is great, makes field stripping and cleaning the firing pin a breeze.

I'm more of a $1k scope guy, like a huskemaw or an SHV. maybe i'll upgrade when i can afford it.

so i'm more in the 4400-4500 all-in range since these are just hunting rifles.

I have 2 tikkas that shoot as well as my two customs. But building the 7mag with an 8 twist barrel, with the exact stock i wanted, and the fit/finish of the customs is so good....those are more special to me than an off the shelf rifle. I have found 2 more of HTC rifles Rich built and bought them on the used market for what i consider to be fantastic deals.

Buy all you can from Rich before he retires, noone sells the quality he produces for his prices anymore.

As previously said, you can build a very nice rifle for under $4k if you can screw on a pre-fit barrel and stock. I'm on my third DIY, first two roughly $3250, last one same plus $750 for increase action price.

$1500 action of your choice
$950 Proof pre-fit carbon ($450 less for steel)
$700 McMillan stock, drop-in fit
$300 bottom metal and mag
$200 trigger
$3650 total + scope of choice

I really don't see how you could build a better rifle for the price. My last DIY in 6.5 CM produced a three shot group of .244" at 100 yards with 140 Berger Hybrid Target factory ammo.

You can pay a lot more but you don't always get more. There's no doubt a good smith can cut a precision custom chamber and fully bed the stock but it's not always necessary.
What about barrel vise and all the tools? Gotta add those in for comparison, someone doing this will always have to buy that. Plus go/no-go gauges, etc…

Currently building a 25CM going prefit route and this is what I have into it so far:

Origin Action - $1000 including action wrench
Mesa Precision Stock - $650
Proof Barrel - $675
Barrel work by SPR - $455 including shipping
Trigger Tech Trigger - $135
Muzzle Brake - $130
Bottom Metal - $200
NF SHV 4-14x56 - $1000
NF Rings - Free, stole them from my dad. Lol

Total so far - $4245 not including bedding

Rifle is not finished. Pic was just a mock up.

Attachments

• 20230323_161848.jpg
    20230323_161848.jpg
    712.8 KB · Views: 42
boltrifle.com
Have Steve Criner, the dog soldier build you a custom for around 3K. That includes a Carbonsix CF barrel. For sure on my next build list

boltrifle.com
Have Steve Criner, the dog soldier build you a custom for around 3K. That includes a Carbonsix CF barrel. For sure on my next build list

What about barrel vise and all the tools? Gotta add those in for comparison, someone doing this will always have to buy that. Plus go/no-go gauges, etc…
I spent about $100 on the vise, $100 on the action wrench and $75 on headspace gauges. The vise and action wrench have been used twice and # 3 is in the works. You also need a torque wrench but I was able to "rent" one at local auto store for free upon return. I did eventually by one but only for convenience.