Cosine Indicator

W, i think they will go with the Lap Mag too, there are still many 308 L96's about, and i have seen some 300 win mags too. There are also some Barrat 50 cals, but they are usualy issued to the Engineers for mine disposal etc. The 338 can almost do what the 50 can and it can do what the 308 can. I don't know if they will go with 1 or 2 calibers, but i can see the 308 and the 338 staying.
If the ACI is on issue then it must be reserved for units going sand side, i definately know of snipers buying thier own and deploying.
Pete

PeteLincoln

Would the Scotts Guard be the same unit as Royal Scottish Dragoon Guard? Was attached to their Scimitar recce troop for some time, have quite a few pics that some chaps might want a copy of.

Nigel Haslam here....
(No, sorry W, just joking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Just when I thought this thread had normalised, I got yet another abusive email from W,(W you'll note, I finally broke and returned same /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) ah well.....

Dare I post? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"The Rifle .338 (8.59mm) L115A1 (Long Range Rifle)" has been in service for a while; it's issue to 16 Air Asslt, 3 Cdo Bde and SAS/SBS. There were some probs with it in Afghanistan that meant it's use was restricted to operational firing only (ie zeroing was banned) but I don't know what the score is now [I'll not even mention the ACI lest my inbox melts down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif].

If the L96 is being replaced, it's the first I've heard, ABRO have discovered that a repaint is as good as a rebarrel!
The AW was purchased in limited numbers as the L118A1.

DWR and Scots Gds (1 SG) are Armoured Infantry. (Sierra22, Scots Dragoon Gds (SCOTS DG) are not the same unit).

I don't think it would be healthy to walk up to either camp gate and tell them that they are not front line units. However....W, be my guest.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

W, Any questions?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Brown Dog, you recon that them camel things would make a decent hill pony? on second thoughts it rains a lot in Scotland, thier humps would burst.
As BD said, Scotts Guards (SG) and RSDG are different, one is Inf tother is Cav.
who the hellis Nigelhaslam, i've heared of him some where but can't place him somehow.
Anyhow, the Duke's of Boots ( i mean Duke of Wellingtons) apparently bought some ACI's and i have it on authority, but not Gospel that the SG did too, through a gun shop in UK. I can imagine if the ACI is i the system it will go to the "elite" ish units first off, SAS, PARA, Commando etc.
In the British Army, unless you are a classed as Teeth Arms,if you are a front line fighting unit (correct me if i get it wrong will you BD its been a while) which meanst Infantry, Tanks or Artillery,and probably to include certain units of the Army Air Corps. Support Arms are REME workshops, logistics units, Medical units, cooks, storemen and the like. about all support arms units are likely at one time or anotherto find themselves doing an infantrymans job,. The support troops attached to any teeth arm unit tend to live work and fight if nessecary with the Bn, Coy or squad that they support. That is certainly true of a REME fitter Section.
Any how back to the ACI. i haven't been able to verify yet who has it on issue. I expect it is in the system on a limited issue basis. which is typical, the leg units are always last to get the guchi kit, wether they need it or not.
Pete

Pete,

E-mailed this to you at work, but thought I'd repeat it here:

Just learnt something I wasn't aware of; sounds like you were though:

There are plans to replace L96, although the plans may not survive the realities of budget cuts. The 'project' is known as SSI –sniper system improvement. Stuff is being assessed now, but it looks likely that the rifle will be 338 (but perhaps not the L115). The SSI includes wind meters and 'incline' meters and all sorts of other Gucci kit.

ISD –if not cut- 2007.

W,

Thank you for your email.
We've led a merry dance regarding this Haslam / general issue business /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.
Was it worth it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ??
-I don't think so.
I'm just here out of hobby interest, not to engage in keyboard duels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!
You've asked me to apologise for the 'I'm in the Army, the ACI isn't' comment; well, I think I'm due an apology about this Haslam business too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif![ a free ACI with 34mm mounts to a colleague's APO address would do nicely - I never said it was crap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif]

I will say that it appears that a lot of units are buying the ACI on local purchase, but....I'm now not clear as to state of play regarding official issue.
I do know, as stated above, that the ACI is being assessed for the SSI with a potential ISD of '07.
If I'm wrong about other official issue, I apologise.

PS. Now that it's made it's point; I'm deleting the desert picture from Hunt 101 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BD~ Send me the APO and I will get you an ACI. Sorry about the duel... I just get a little hot about the "issue" issue (My honesty/integrity) I also apologize about the Haslam ID error. Apparently you both look a great deal alike, right down to the checkered shirt.

The ring I cannot send as I do not have them. But, Global Rifle does if you want to seek it out through them.

Pete: If you don't mind sending my beer to BD, I would appreciate it… LOL…

My best regards to you both.

-Ward

Brown Dog: The ACI (as stated in my email) has been posted via US International Priority Mail and should arrive within seven to ten business days.

Best Regards,

-W

Hang on a minute, you two have a fisticufs over the key board. i try to shed some light on the situation, you guys make up and BD gets a free ACI, and i'm left to buy the beer? **** it it sounds like world politics doesn't it.
I maintain that there is a differnce between standard and or general issue and special issue.
Glad you two made up. !!!
Pete

I was in the British Army once, just a crap hat though, do I get a cosine thing or a beer?
I am new to the long range game and find this web site facinating. Can anyone tell me what the 338 Lapua catridge is? Is it it bigger than a standard 338, and would it be a good hunting round? Also, Pete and BD, do you know of a good place to purchase 58 Pat. webbing?

58 pattern?.............ugh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Have a look at this site. This lot make copies of all the current Brit kit cheaply. Quite popular, but some doubts about its IRR qualities - you might look like a beacon through an II sight! If IRR is not an issue, the stuff looks quite good;
the link takes you to the AI drag bag copy; couldn't tell the difference when I handled one at a show:

http://www.web-tex.co.uk/webbing_pouches.asp?ProdID=361

Hell boys, after reading all ten pages and every word twice. I've decided to sell all my guns and take up knitting! It's a wonder I've hit anything in the last 50 years. Wonder how Gunny HATHCOCK got by? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Come on 3sixbits,we have to do something during closed season !!
The only thing you need to intercept from the last 10 pages is:
The ACI works, its a must have item, buy one.
Pete

Well Pete, it sure has it's place. No doubt about that, but I would have to change my style of shooting completely. It is indeed unfortunate that I can not get these caribou to stand in one place long enoungh to do all thats required with this method to bring home the meat! You see Pete they are pretty much on the move all the time. I've found what has so far worked for me is just to shoot them about the same time I pick them up in the scope. The only bad thing is by the time you pull the trigger several others have moved in front of the one you shot at. This usually means that instead of that old greyside bull you hit a younger bull or a cow. Now if that PDA and ballistics program can cure all that, I'am game! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.