Cosine Indicator

3 sixbits, you ever heard or the 6 P's ? prior planning prevents **** poor performance. the idea is you see in which general direction the caribou ar moving, you lead em with the rifle, get the angle of the ACI and this gives you at altered elevation adjustment for the distance and elevation or the target, the ACI is as quick to use as taking the safety off. But then i work in Miliradians, meters and adjust my scope in .10 miliradians. the math is instantaneouse and easy. now if you are going from yards to MOA and fromMOA to 1/4 inch clicks, then working the fraction on the ACI etc,, i can see how it would slow you up.
What i like to do is pre range and ACI my target area, ploting focal points or memory for elevation and range,i learned this as a soldier we used to make range cards on the back of ration packs.
Remember the 6 P's. and the ACI is very fast to use in conjunction with mildots and a .10 miliradian scope
Pete

Well there you go Pete, my right eye no longer alows the use of the milldot. I've had all my scopes back to Leupold and have gone to the #2 German retical due to age and failing eyesite. It's a bitch when you lose that 20/10 eyesite. I agree about the 6P's, I should have planed on getting old and going half blind earlier. The real problem with all of this getting old and going half blind is a guy still has the need to eat and doesn't give up on that to easy. I guess you assume that I hunt from a static position, well no. We are on the move all the time untill the trigger is pulled, along with the status change from hunter to cooley laborer. Then you become static followed by a resume of the chase. Another problem is taking your eyes off the game while following with the scope, I haven't had much luck following this tactic. I don't know but what that tactic might cause more hunger pains than a full boat or sled of meat? The more I read this post and think about it, I think I was right to sell all my gear and take up knitting, go on welfair ect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ward,

As indicated in my email, the ACI has arrived /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Just thought I should thank you publicly here too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I haven't mounted it yet, but, just from handling it, I can see that it will be a great success -much smaller and neater than I had appreciated from the photos on-line.

Very many thanks.

Major:
You are very welcome and I am glad that you like it. Perhaps one day I will spot for you.

-W

Major Brown Dog. i am back at work tommorow and thus will have your snail mail addy available. I will stick you the 34mm ring to mount the ACI in the post during my well earned NAAFI break ok.. cheers Pete

[ QUOTE ]
3 sixbits, you ever heard or the 6 P's ? prior planning prevents **** poor performance. the idea is you see in which general direction the caribou ar moving, you lead em with the rifle, get the angle of the ACI and this gives you at altered elevation adjustment for the distance and elevation or the target, the ACI is as quick to use as taking the safety off. But then i work in Miliradians, meters and adjust my scope in .10 miliradians. the math is instantaneouse and easy. now if you are going from yards to MOA and fromMOA to 1/4 inch clicks, then working the fraction on the ACI etc,, i can see how it would slow you up.
What i like to do is pre range and ACI my target area, ploting focal points or memory for elevation and range,i learned this as a soldier we used to make range cards on the back of ration packs.
Remember the 6 P's. and the ACI is very fast to use in conjunction with mildots and a .10 miliradian scope
Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete, In regaurds to :
>>>now if you are going from yards to MOA and fromMOA to 1/4 inch clicks, then working the fraction on the ACI etc,, i can see how it would slow you up.

I am fairly new LLH and this site and recently got my ACI, and all I did was make up a range card in "Exel" to work very similar in design to the Ballisticard system by using the cosine # Which I have done from 0 to .57 slope off ACI and range every 25 yds to 1000yds, adjusted for drop in MOA and wind drifts in 2.5mph,5mph & 10mph also set for MOA.

All that is needed, is for me to range target, pick up rifle and scope target to get ACI # then glance at chart, click in adjustments on scope and in under 30 seconds ready to take shot. Time is in mindset, I think we as hunters have all the time, it's our targets who do not have time, as its just a matter of time till we make our shot.

There is definitely a difference in short range and long range shooting. Short range shooting a hunter may very well not have time and may need to make quick shots instantly, But in long range hunting I think time is a mindset and not as important as animals are relaxed and calm with minimal movement.
If wind is blowing much I may check that as well just be safe. But I think there are things that take longer than to get ballistic info and adjust scope for shot.

Your 100% correct in the "6 P's" with planning to be the key "P".
Just my thoughts,
Ben

Yes, Ward I too would like to thank you for such a great product, I too thought it was much nicer than what i was expecting. I have mounted it with another ring to scope till I recieve Badger mount from ya.

Also I would like to thank you for the Help with The exbal software thing, Ya know the Alt-Baro thing.

Many thanks,
Ben

Ben, & Shadowman; THANK YOU! I am hoping to have Marty's mounts some time next week and will get them out to you as soon as possible. Also, I have updated my web site and have added more products (not mine) that you might be interested in. Exbal is one of them; however I am waiting on some specifics before I activate it. Also waiting on some more information on the Kestrel's; but they are available. If you have the time, please check my web site out. Sniper Tools Deisgn Co.

-W

Shadow man, if your work in meters and have a scope that adjusts in .1 miliradians, you don't even need a balisticard for the alterations to range/adjustment for incline/decline. The maths is so simple and can be done in a split second. I checked out my elevation adjustments for range the hard way ( not having a computer back then) by firing for check zero at every 25m from 25m to 650m. 650 was as far away as i could get from the target. Ive since moved into the computer age and can calculate the rest to 1000m and it checks out with what i had as known data. By keeping the balistic information i need to carry with me to a minimum it means i have a far better chance of memorising it. I stick to one caliber only for my long range hunting and know it well. I can quickly work out the adjustments to my base data in my head for most situations encountered.
The ACI is a god send for anyone hunting or shooting in hill country, i don't know how the hell i managed before i got mine.
Pete

You are totally correct, most who has used the mildot scopes for any length of time and practiced with it say the same thing, it's lightning fast. I never personaly knew anyone that had figured it out to help me figure it out and thus I was never able to use it as it was intended.

I just letting those people know that don't use that setup that even with a duplex and ranging in yards, that with a little "PRE PLANNING" like you stated that it is still very fast to do what needs to be done to make shot. For me its range, get angle, glance at range card, adjust scope and shoot.

As I said I agree with everything you have said and just wanted to emphasize the "PLANNING" part, this is the area where most people make their mistakes by failing to "PLAN". It ends up costing them time amoungst other things.

Thanks,
Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.