$11 Angle Degree Indicator

I found this angle finder at the local hardware store today for $10.99. My idea is to epoxy a metal or plastic tube or even a ballpoint pen body to the bottom edge as a rudimentary sight and use it as a angle degree indicator. The only downside I can think of is I would need a hunting partner to read the angle or I could lay it on top of my tripod, sight in then read it. I figured it would do the trick until I can afford a new rangefinder with an angle/cosine feature. Do you think this idea would be feasible?

5l9lwl.jpg

Johnson Magnetic Angle Locator, 72 Inch | Measuring, Marking & Levelers | Tools | Tools & Hardware | Osh Categories | Orchard Supply Hardware Store

I found this angle finder at the local hardware store today for $10.99. My idea is to epoxy a metal or plastic tube or even a ballpoint pen body to the bottom edge as a rudimentary sight and use it as a angle degree indicator. The only downside I can think of is I would need a hunting partner to read the angle or I could lay it on top of my tripod, sight in then read it. I figured it would do the trick until I can afford a new rangefinder with an angle/cosine feature. Do you think this idea would be feasible?

5l9lwl.jpg

Johnson Magnetic Angle Locator, 72 Inch | Measuring, Marking & Levelers | Tools | Tools & Hardware | Osh Categories | Orchard Supply Hardware Store

There are free phone apps that would do the same, you might want to check it out.

Anyone like myself that finds shooting long range with first shot precision an eminently fascinating and endlessly interesting facet of shooting may find this interesting. As I progress in my own knowledge and ability in the field of long range precision shooting I am coming to the understanding that precision long range shooting with high probability of first shot hits is highly dependent on precision data feed to your ballistic calculator program. There are no points of data too small to be inconsequential.**** Things like corriolis effect, cosine or slope angle, and spin drift were things that I felt didn't amount to enough to consider but I was wrong.* Atmospheric conditions such as elevation above sea level, barometric pressure and wind speed and direction*are things that were considered but mostly emphasis was on distance to target and wind.* My current understanding is* WOW!!! there's a lot to this.

I am learning now that the angle of sight weather uphill or downhill*has a tremendous effect on the bullet flight path from level line of sight.* For this reason an accurate means of measuring the angle of sight is needed so that accurate data can be fed into the ballistic calculating system being employed.* There are cosine angle indicators available on the market that are very precise tools that come with the type of price range you would expect to pay for precision tool, spendy!* Until my budget will allow a scope mounted cosine indicator I wanted a means of measuring angle so that I can develop data for field use now rather than at some later date.

After a bit of study and head scratching I have come up with a tool I can carry in my range bucket that will very accurately measure line of sight angle to any distant target.* This tool was put together from junk and spare parts.* The scope is so poor in quality that it had been relegated to a parts box. The rest as can be seen is just some simple parts most shooters will have lying about.* The protractor, well thank heavens for home schooling.

It is very simple to operate, just put the cross hairs on your target while holding the spring loaded dial pivot.* When you are on target release the spring loaded dial pivot and the dial is locked into place on the protractor then just read where the dial is on the scale. Simple as falling down.

I will try to get Tina to add a pic here because the pic will much better explain than I can with words.* I hope this might be helpful to others on a VERY LIMITED BUDGET like yours truly to add to your war chest of tool needed to make that distant shot on the first try.*

Anyone like myself that finds shooting long range with first shot precision an eminently fascinating and endlessly interesting facet of shooting may find this interesting. As I progress in my own knowledge and ability in the field of long range precision shooting I am coming to the understanding that precision long range shooting with high probability of first shot hits is highly dependent on precision data feed to your ballistic calculator program. There are no points of data too small to be inconsequential.**** Things like corriolis effect, cosine or slope angle, and spin drift were things that I felt didn't amount to enough to consider but I was wrong.* Atmospheric conditions such as elevation above sea level, barometric pressure and wind speed and direction*are things that were considered but mostly emphasis was on distance to target and wind.* My current understanding is* WOW!!! there's a lot to this.

I am learning now that the angle of sight weather uphill or downhill*has a tremendous effect on the bullet flight path from level line of sight.* For this reason an accurate means of measuring the angle of sight is needed so that accurate data can be fed into the ballistic calculating system being employed.* There are cosine angle indicators available on the market that are very precise tools that come with the type of price range you would expect to pay for precision tool, spendy!* Until my budget will allow a scope mounted cosine indicator I wanted a means of measuring angle so that I can develop data for field use now rather than at some later date.

After a bit of study and head scratching I have come up with a tool I can carry in my range bucket that will very accurately measure line of sight angle to any distant target.* This tool was put together from junk and spare parts.* The scope is so poor in quality that it had been relegated to a parts box. The rest as can be seen is just some simple parts most shooters will have lying about.* The protractor, well thank heavens for home schooling.

It is very simple to operate, just put the cross hairs on your target while holding the spring loaded dial pivot.* When you are on target release the spring loaded dial pivot and the dial is locked into place on the protractor then just read where the dial is on the scale. Simple as falling down.

I will try to get Tina to add a pic here because the pic will much better explain than I can with words.* I hope this might be helpful to others on a VERY LIMITED BUDGET like yours truly to add to your war chest of tool needed to make that distant shot on the first try.*

Don't forget this....lolz

Really though, there are FREE apps on phones that do it as well, And the good news is, you can keep your protractor!! If your off 1 or 2 degrees...it will not make enough difference to make you miss. Also alot of the rangefinders these days either calculate the angle into the range or give you the angle value.

Attachments

• gun_with_cup_holder.jpg
    gun_with_cup_holder.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 24
Don't forget this....lolz

Really though, there are FREE apps on phones that do it as well, And the good news is, you can keep your protractor!! If your off 1 or 2 degrees...it will not make enough difference to make you miss. Also alot of the rangefinders these days either calculate the angle into the range or give you the angle value.

I purchased and downloaded the Shooter app to my android phone since it had the angle indicator feature but for some reason the full app would not load so I am back to square one using Strelok which requires a manual angle input. I would prefer not to have to use a separate angle finder app because the shots that presented themselves over the last couple years would not have allowed enough time to open two different apps.

I purchased and downloaded the Shooter app to my android phone since it had the angle indicator feature but for some reason the full app would not load so I am back to square one using Strelok which requires a manual angle input. I would prefer not to have to use a separate angle finder app because the shots that presented themselves over the last couple years would not have allowed enough time to open two different apps.

Ok ok, fair enough. Since your app isn't working and you don't have the ability to get the other tools, watch this video. This method works, I have done it, and all it will cost you is a couple minutes. Enjoy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ft_FYY3En2U

But I have a birth deformity. I was not born with a phone in my hand. General consensus today seems to be that men are born with a penis in their crotch and a phone in hand. I must be a freak because I have no phone accept for the land line in my house. Not a Zero supporter so didn't get one there either. Guess I will have to stick with my home made device until my ship (rubber dingy) comes in.

But I have a birth deformity. I was not born with a phone in my hand. General consensus today seems to be that men are born with a penis in their crotch and a phone in hand. I must be a freak because I have no phone accept for the land line in my house. Not a Zero supporter so didn't get one there either. Guess I will have to stick with my home made device until my ship (rubber dingy) comes in.

Fair enough, but apparently you were born with the deformity of having a "range bucket" attached to you at all times so you can carry large cumbersome tools in the hunting field with you lol Only joking, in all seriousness your angle indicator you made is a very good idea and a very clever creation, and I'm sure works well shooting at ranges or out practising, but the reason we suggested an app on your phone or using a ballistics app like shooter or A.B. is because of practicality, the MAJORITY of people do have their phone within reach 95% of the time, right or wrong it's just the way it is. And alot of people use their phones for their ballistic solutions anyway. A pre made dope chart is good, but it only has drop solutions for one set of weather conditions, if you change elevation, weather changes, pressure and temp change, your dope chart is now wrong. A good ballistics app such as applied ballistics pulls temp, humidity, temperature, longitude, azimuth, shot angle and elevation off of your phone real time and accounts for all this nearly instantly. A very thorough chart can be made to have solutions to calculate for different atmospheric conditions, which I have one in my rifle stock pack that gives corrections for differences in atmospheric condition that vary from my dope chart, but it's my plan b, I'm case my plan A, my kestrel and applied ballistics, fail.

As for the incline, the "Fisting" method demonstrated by Aaron Davidson in the video I posted a link to does in fact work as a backup to your ballistic program failing, as the O.P. has already experienced. Or you can drop the penny and get a cosign indicator to mount on your rifle. Your creation would work just fine as well, accept I myself wouldn't want to pack an extra scope with a fragile looking plastic protractor and wire attached to the side of it into the back country, though it is a neat creation. Most of us already have a phone on us, so we might as well use it for something a hell of a lot cooler than taking stupid selfies. I'm not saying your idea doesn't work, it's actually a very interesting creation, I'm just saying that there are simpler and more practical solutions for finding your incline, specifically in hunting scenarios where compact and light equipment is of high value. Most people carry phones, and even more people yet have fists

Do you think this idea would be feasible?

Yes, I've used them years ago, and they'll work. Mine had a magnet on the bottom which I removed to save weight. I placed mine on the barrel after it was pointed at the target.

One downside was having to remember to carry another item into the field and knowing where I'd placed it when I needed it. My Leica laser rangefinder now calculates the angle, but no more accurately than the $11 tool you've got in hand.

Fair enough, but apparently you were born with the deformity of having a "range bucket" attached to you at all times so you can carry large cumbersome tools in the hunting field with you lol Only joking, in all seriousness your angle indicator you made is a very good idea and a very clever creation, and I'm sure works well shooting at ranges or out practising, but the reason we suggested an app on your phone or using a ballistics app like shooter or A.B. is because of practicality, the MAJORITY of people do have their phone within reach 95% of the time, right or wrong it's just the way it is. And alot of people use their phones for their ballistic solutions anyway. A pre made dope chart is good, but it only has drop solutions for one set of weather conditions, if you change elevation, weather changes, pressure and temp change, your dope chart is now wrong. A good ballistics app such as applied ballistics pulls temp, humidity, temperature, longitude, azimuth, shot angle and elevation off of your phone real time and accounts for all this nearly instantly. A very thorough chart can be made to have solutions to calculate for different atmospheric conditions, which I have one in my rifle stock pack that gives corrections for differences in atmospheric condition that vary from my dope chart, but it's my plan b, I'm case my plan A, my kestrel and applied ballistics, fail.

As for the incline, the "Fisting" method demonstrated by Aaron Davidson in the video I posted a link to does in fact work as a backup to your ballistic program failing, as the O.P. has already experienced. Or you can drop the penny and get a cosign indicator to mount on your rifle. Your creation would work just fine as well, accept I myself wouldn't want to pack an extra scope with a fragile looking plastic protractor and wire attached to the side of it into the back country, though it is a neat creation. Most of us already have a phone on us, so we might as well use it for something a hell of a lot cooler than taking stupid selfies. I'm not saying your idea doesn't work, it's actually a very interesting creation, I'm just saying that there are simpler and more practical solutions for finding your incline, specifically in hunting scenarios where compact and light equipment is of high value. Most people carry phones, and even more people yet have fists[/QUOTE

]Yes of course you are correct on all counts. My toy angle indicator only lives in a range bucket carried in my 93 Dodge. Its purpose really is to help me learn.
BTW I should add that my shooting range is not the typical public range with a row of benches and set ranges. In my area there is no such thing due to the absence of people. I shoot on public land BLM but with the absence of the public. There are no shortage of places to shoot here to unlimited range. The terrain is rather rugged so learning to judge angle is very helpful. Until I can afford something better such as a scope mounted indicator my toy indicator is serving its purpose as a learning tool.
Much of this long range tech stuff is new to me and has to be learned so I guess at this point I need to take baby steps before I learn to run with the big dogs. I fear though that I may always be a Chihuahua.

There is, or at least was, a very simple straight forward devise known as the
(Slope Doper). Created and sold by a vet. It also included charts showing the (actual)
as compared to the ranged distance at various angles. Angle can be a very important thing and if enough and not compensated for will cause a miss. Problem with hunting,
is that there is not always enough time to evaluate as we should. But even a rough
guess and a look at the chart is better than doing nothing. Ive owned a Slope Doper
for years, and never felt the need to get anything else.

The slope doper was the inspiration for my idea. I looked at the slope doper but couldn't justify the $30.00 cost. There was a zero investment made to put together my tool.

There are a bunch of angle measuring devices. The mil dot master has a thing on it so you can measure angle plus you get the mil dot master to boot ($30). An inexpensive protractor (plastic or metal) with a string and weight work great and you don't need to attach it to anything. If you use your phone on a hunt, you have to wait for it to power up if you don't want to lose your charge. You can even stick your fist out in front of you which works fairly well (each fist = 10-degrees or so).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.