Converting a standard long action to 7mm STW?

ol mike

Howdoo ,
When rebarreling an ADL 30-06 to 7mm stw will the gun still feed from the magazine ?
Could i live w/a 7mm stw shooting 180gr bullets without a brake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ?-Mike

A lot of work may be required to make an '06 magazine, rails and feed ramp accommodate the 7mm STW, not to mention opening the bolt face and new extractor. Then if you seriously are looking at shooting 180 gn bullets, you may have to seat the bullets deep to fit in the magazine. In my opinion, you are better off getting an action already suited and manufactured for a 7mm STW. The price may not be that much different in the final analysis.

As far as needing a brake goes, that depends on your ability to withstand recoil and scope eye relief.

The Rem 700 ADL 30-06 receiver has the same length magazine box window in the receiver as say a 300 RUM in the Rem 700. Length will not be an issue. YOu will need to adjust your feed lips slightly but this is generally not a huge deal.

If you have the receiver accurized, it is a simple matter to open the bolt face up for the belted mag case head when the bolt face is trued. Also, in my shop at least, its shop policy to fit a Sako extractor to any Rem 700 receiver that is accurized. Again, this is not a problem at all and works very well.

If you want to shoot the 180 gr Berger bullets, I would recommend fitting a Wyatts extended mag box to your receiver. This will allow an OAL of 3.910" to be used with your ammo letting you seat those long bullets out where they need to be and still function as a repeater.

May have to change to a BDL stock design though or have the Wyatt box depth decreased which may take away one round of magazine capacity.

This is not a big deal to do but does take a little investment to do so.

Kirby Allen(50)

I have a wyatts installed on my STW because I wanted to shoot the Berger 180gr. It was worth the money to put it in because that bullet simply rocks. You should not need a muzzle brake. 7mm STW's actually have pretty mild recoil for how big the case is I know a 300win has a little more than the STW.

Thanks for the help guys.
I'm thinking about a 280AI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif now.
Less recoil -less expense to build etc..
I did a search on google and pa-dow longrangehunting-4forkedhorn asking about the 280AI.Kirby and several others commented positively about the 280ai.
I just bought a 7mm wsm for a steal and have 160gr accubonds and 140 bt's .
Also in my research i see nosler builds 280ai brass ready to go ,so no whining about fireforming.
My thoughts now are 160 accubonds for game and 162 a-max for varmint/targets.
One last thing -barrel twist -is a 1-9.5 the optimum twist for 160-168gr bullets ?
What will be the weight difference -ballpark- between a #4 or a #5 fluted barrel ?
Figuring on a 27" barrel.-Mike

edited to say thanks for the technical answers on the STW it helped me alot.

Dakor,

What is your OAL with the 180's....the magazine that Wyatts send me allows for a max of 3.75". I will have to call them tomorrow and see if they have a longer version.

To the tip they are 3.701. I think Wyatts only makes one mag box for a long action Rem. My next rifle I think I am going to look at a bigger custom action like a BAT so I can really seat the bullet out. Remington should have made a longer action when they came out with the Longer mags like the 8mm, 7mm STW, and the ultra mags instead of being cheap.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.