Complete Newbie seeking advice for elk setup

1. Use a 200+ grain HUNTING bullet that gives you best accuracy and most confidence, NOSLER, Hornady and HAMMER all make good bullets that will do the job.

2. Don't get hung up on Brand names of rings/ bases. Go to local shop pickup and feel quality then buy it at the shop (or online if you are short money). Vortex, Leupold etc all make good mid price range stuff.

3. Spend more time practicing shooting. Off your pack, leaning on a tree, etc etc. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR CONFIDENCE IN YOUR GEAR!

4. Don't sweat the scope too much. just practice. if possible have a spotter using some binos to help find and keep you on that ELK in some unfamiliar territory.

I am not sure how a spotter using some binos is going to help with an elk that is 25-50 yards away...practice doesn't make the elk any smaller at 25 yards in an 8x scope. I guess he could twist the rifle sideways like @WildRose and sight along the barrel for the closer shots...I think I would sweat the scope - the the OP has time to figure out a better solution.

Last edited:
Listen to FIGJAM ( our resident expert at everything and NINJA poster!)

Drop everything and get the perfect scope or don't go at all!

A spotter won't help at all don't bother you'll be fine on your own first time out!

In all seriousness, I shoot a 5-25x and there are times I wish it was a 3x on the lower end when I end up stalking in thick woods.

You'll always be more successful with a buddy. Fact.

Its why we deploy our boys in teams, never alone.

Listen to FIGJAM ( our resident expert at everything and NINJA poster!)

Drop everything and get the perfect scope or don't go at all!

A spotter won't help at all don't bother you'll be fine on your own first time out!

In all seriousness, I shoot a 5-25x and there are times I wish it was a 3x on the lower end when I end up stalking in thick woods.

You'll always be more successful with a buddy. Fact.

Its why we deploy our boys in teams, never alone.
:rolleyes:. Struck a nerve apparently...I don't disagree with a spotter or hunting with somebody - they aren't going to help at close range with an 8x scope brother. Why can't he sell it or trade it? He has time to figure this all out. For somebody who has never been elk hunting out west I think getting a different scope is sound advice. He has 9 or 10 months...

:rolleyes:. Struck a nerve apparently...I don't disagree with a spotter or hunting with somebody - they aren't going to help at close range with an 8x scope brother. Why can't he sell it or trade it? He has time to figure this all out. For somebody who has never been elk hunting out west I think getting a different scope is sound advice. He has 9 or 10 months...

FIGJAM I like messing with you! You won't quit.

Agreed but this guy has been preached to about this scope from everyone on this thread.

A spotter will help follow which way the ELK went because at 8X he will not be able to see! Then with any luck, the spotter will help him find it again running away at ~150yds shot.

Get him to load up and Practice. He will either become effective with the scope he's chosen or learn it truly isn't the right scope for the job.

My guess is the latter, but some folks will surprise you.

Agreed but this guy has been preached to about this scope from everyone on this thread.

A spotter will help follow which way the ELK went because at 8X he will not be able to see! Then with any luck, the spotter will help him find it again running away at ~150yds shot.

Get him to load up and Practice. He will either become effective with the scope he's chosen or learn it truly isn't the right scope for the job.

:cool::D

I shoot the Barnes TTSX in my 300wsm. Factory ammo. Have killed a few deer and a 5x5 bull with them. Deer were DRT Elk took ten steps and fell over. Find what shoots well in your rifle and make sure you have some type of partition or bonded bullet if your going for large game

As for rings, I have Talley's on both my Winchester 70's. Super easy to mount and tough as anything else you can buy, and they just look how scope rings on a Winchester 70 should. I use a Leupold 3-9x40 firedot with the Boone and Crockett reticle on my 30-06 and it gets me to 500 yards just fine, but that's because I've tested the ammo I use at each range and made a chart (and memorized it) of where I need to aim on the reticle for each distance. Mostly used for deer but it's taken an elk as well. I prepared for the 500 yard shot, but it ended up being ~50 yards when I finally did get one (was my first elk, I'm not from a state that has elk so I went on a trip to Colorado.)
I echo what everyone is saying, a lesser power on the bottom end scope, and I highly highly recommend Talley's two piece rings, about $60 when I got them a few years back. Don't know what they cost now but even at $80-90 I'd gladly do it again.

Doesn't matter if it is elk or jackrabbits. 8x is absolutely useless at close range.

Too the bolded, with good reason. We're trying to help the kid avoid potential disaster.

If you can shoot both eyes open 6x would be possible but dang 8x is a lot.

Too the bolded, with good reason. We're trying to help the kid avoid potential disaster.

Understood but don't want this forum to become a place of hardliners.

Did you Notice OP has stopped responding? Not a good way to build a community.

That old adage about Honey vs. Vinegar.

Understood but don't want this forum to become a place of hardliners.

Did you Notice OP has stopped responding? Not a good way to build a community.

That old adage about Honey vs. Vinegar.
If he can't handle being told the truth there was no way he was going to last very long here no matter what.

I haven't read every post in the thread but I haven't beat up on him at all, just pointed out the facts.

If he can't handle being told the truth there was no way he was going to last very long here no matter what.

I haven't read every post in the thread but I haven't beat up on him at all, just pointed out the facts.

Of course not. No one ever does.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts