Help and advice for Newbie !!!

robbobsam

Hiya Guys,

I have just started to work up a .243 load for my Tikka T3 Super Varmint. I want to use it for deer hunting and want to use 90 bergers for it. I have them grouping sub .5" at 100yds but the ES and SD is over 70 and 35 respectively and the 200yd groups are very poor.

I am not sure what the best way to improve this but my first plan was to reduce the neck tension on the bullets by only neck sizing the first 40 thou of the neck using my redding competition dies. I was hoping this might help the ES and DS.

Am I on the right lines???

Or is there something else I should try ???

Last edited:
You can try that, but you may want to play around with the load. .5" at 100 means nothing if you 200yrd is all over the place. I would keep the load and play with length. This might tighten up your ES and check your loads at 200 verses 100. Farther is better if you are comfortable. My cousin and I are starting load testing at 600 now. Gives much better info on load development. 200 should be the standard in my opinion. You may want to try a different primer too. This can help with bring your ES tighter.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.