Complete Newbie seeking advice for elk setup

IMHO your scope is over-powered. I've used a 4-16 to 700 yards with no issues, my 300WM currently wears a 5-20 and my 338 Edge which is shot to 2000 yards wears a 5-25. But if you already have it, it is what it is.

As for rings, I prefer Burris Signature. As for bullets, in the 300WM I have had very good performance from the 200gr Accubond.

I run seekins rings and picatinny base. They are spendy but well worth it. As far as bullets bergers vld (1 kill), sierra gamekings ( 1 kill), and nosler partitions (6 kills) have all worked well for me on elk. All elk traveled less than 20 yards before expiring.

But I do have agree with everyone else on the scope power. Lowest power of 8 could prove to be very difficult if you are hunting in any kind of woods. I have taken 8 bulls in the last 8 years on DIY hunts on public land. I have taken 3 around 400 yards, 1 at 192, and the rest were under 100 yards closest being around 40. I understand though if that is the only scope you have.

No sir. This will be my first time.

Well, the best bit of advice I can give you is to put that scope into whatever set of rings it'll fit in, put at least a 180gr bullet in the shell, learn to shoot it, and take a rangefinder (Don't expect to use it and don't expect to have to shoot far).

Get out of the truck, leave the ATV behind and prepare to walk a lot.

Good luck. You're going to need it.

No sir. This will be my first time.

I would echo what others are saying about your optic, if elk are moving in a group you will have a serious stuggle picking one out and seeing the whole picture. If you get even remotely in timber that optic is literally useless, not even remotely kidding! Not saying it's can't be done but you run a high chance of that significantly limiting your hunt! I run a 3-10 SHV and it's awesome for timber and I have no issues rolling elk at 1000+ with it. You need massive field of view in elk country.

Grab some ADG brass, some H1000 and pick any bullet over 200 gr and run it right behind the shoulder quartering away a little and you'll be an elk slaying beast!!

I agree with everyone that your scope is over powered. 210 berger and h1000 on bullet choice. Good binos are as important as anything, can't shoot one until you see it. A good range finder also.

I'm gonna echo the scope power that a couple others have mentioned and then I'll let you alone with it. My carry rifle has a 3.5-10 and I'm good with this rig out to 800. If the rifle was a little more accurate I wouldn't feel underpowered for elk out to 1000, maybe more. The 5.5-22 NXS on my .375 Snipetac even got switched out to a 3-15 power and I had elk in my scope that were 1600 yards out, it would have done the job. I have had a cow pop under me on a steep hillside only 10 yards away while I was watching 1/2 mile out. Only had a bull tag at the time, and it scared the crap out of us both.
I understand that scope is what you have and if you gotta use it then use it. Just know that it isn't ideal, in my opinion of course.
When you say Meeker are you talking about to the east near/on the Flat Tops? I hunt to the south close to Rifle on the Roan Plateu. Are you taking this adventure alone or with a group? Maybe someone familiar with the area?

Added: if you can get someone to load ammo for ya and you are shooting out to 500, then I would use the Hammer Hunters or Sledge Hammers. Great bullets!

Scope is in hand. I'm gonna use it. Do you suggest a picatinny rail base for the vortex precision matched rings?

In a nice way everybody with any elk hunting experience out west is trying to tell you to dump that scope and buy something with a more reasonable magnification. Honestly you have just as much of a chance at shooting something at 100 yards as you do 500. I run a 3-15x56 on my elk hunting rig. 3x or 4x on the low end is what you want in my opinion. 10x on up for the high end, although in my opinion the only place 32x belongs for hunting is on a varmint rifle. Even then mine all top out at 24.

I hate hunting with a FFP scope, I have tried it twice, disliked it both times. In the last few minutes of shooting light, I could barely see the crosshairs at 6x with trees and a deer as my background. I think illumination might have helped, but still, i use a rangefinder and dial for elevation. To each his own tho.

All my guns sport Talley lightweight rings/bases

As for ammo, I have been liking the hornady precision hunter with the eldx bullets - really small groups for me and it killed the elk in my avatar.

I agree with everyone else on the scope, you'll likely run into issues with close shots. My long range hunting rifle only goes up to 24 power and I'm easily comfortable to 1000 with that much power, otherwise I use a 4-16. I like FFP scopes for rifles I'm intending to shoot for LR, however, I prefer SFP if close shots are a good possibility, as I find the reticle much easier to see in low light at low magnification.

For bullets, in the 300 WM I have had great luck with Hornady 200 & 212 ELD-X and Berger 200-215 pushed with either Retumbo or H-1000. If you're shooting factory ammo, then FIGJAM has some good advise with the Precision Hunter 200 ELD-X, my 300 WMs will shoot that 3/4 MOA or better all day.

For rings I like Talley lightweights, Burris XTR, or Vortex precision matched rings. All have worked great for me. I tend to get the talleys to keep weight down and like the 1 price design of 20 MOA base/rings all build together.

I have been on/part of 30+ elk hunts. An 8-35×56 is too much scope for an elk rifle unless it is a purpose built long range rifle for shooting across canyons 800+ yards. Even my dedicated long range elk rifles only wear a 5-25×56. My other elk rifles wear: 3-15×50, 3-20×50, 3-24×52. Shots have been from 10 to 882 on elk. Only a few have been over 400 yards. Most are between 50-300. Wider FOV for rapid target acquisition and identification is imperative. I would bet 90% of rifle elk are taken under 300 yards. Just because The Outdoor Channel has numerous shows on taking elk at 1000+, that is not the norm for western hunting.

Holding on hair of an elk at 50 yards on 8x because you can't see exactly WHERE you are holding is a very poor practice. But a 3-15 is easily low enough to accurately hold on the crease @ 25 yards, but plenty of scope for shooting to beyond 1300 yards. I have shot coyotes at 1365 on 17x, and 1327 on 16x. Shot jackrabbits @ 1000+ on 15x.

As for bullet choice for the .300WM, if 500 is you honest limit, any bullet will do. You don't need a high BC heavy bullet, but a 215 Hybrid will rock an elk at any range out to 1000+. We have used them from 50 to 882.

Seeekins Picatinny rail and Seekins rings (Vortex PMR are made by Seekins), best mounting solution. Every rifle I own has this setup.

Last edited:
Scope is in hand. I'm gonna use it. Do you suggest a picatinny rail base for the vortex precision matched rings?
Take the advice of people that actually have experience elk hunting! Five or six power on the bottom end is the max power I would use. You have just as good of a chance of shooting a elk at 50 yards as you do at 500.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.