Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Bluejay,
Short answer on the velocity is that it will be whatever is the most ACCURATE in your rifle. You need to get your load testing process more direct. Find your seating depth accuracy node first at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing and then work you load up to find YOUR highest velocity accuracy node. I suggest you start at .015 off the lands and move back towards the cartridge case in .005 increments to find your seating depth accuracy node. And get a chronograph. The Magneto-speed chronographs or the LAB RADAR units seem to be the most popular now. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us here or at [email protected]
Take care,

I worked up a load for my friends factory Savage Long Range in 300 WM and found 75 grs of H1000 under the 215 Hybrid lit by a WLRM primer at .025" off the lands averaged 2880 GPS out of the 24" barrel, sub moa out to a 1000yds, sometimes close to .5 moa.

It does seem slow to me as well....
Again, did not have the chance to chrono it.

I zeroed the rifle at 200 meter (218 yds.) and, at 400 meter (437 yds.) I had to dial 6,75 MOA....

The two ballistic SW I've checked gave me pretty much "that" velocity, based on trajectory results....and the difference between the two was minor....

If I recall, Some of You Guys have pushed that load to 79 grs. at over 2900's....

Brass was Norma, already formed to chamber (second firing).

The 74,5 load does not feel as a "slow" one to shoot, at all.
Actually, it feels very solid and "round".

I've also previously tried 77 grs. with no pressure signs.
Should I increase the load ?

Could it possibly be the bullet too far out (0,016" Jump) ?

???

:rolleyes:

I would think you could run 78-79 grs. in a WM depending on your throat? Just to add a little teaser, one of my customers just reached 3010' with a 215 berger in the 300 SS which has a capacity of 72-73 grs. H20. His load was 67 grs. RL26:D.....Rich

Question on the 215 Hybrid...

Has any of you Guys tried this bullet on paper at close range (100-150) ?

Just curious to see, because in my little experience this bullet has shown to be performing much better at longer ranges.....

TY
:D

Question on the 215 Hybrid...

Has any of you Guys tried this bullet on paper at close range (100-150) ?

Just curious to see, because in my little experience this bullet has shown to be performing much better at longer ranges.....

TY
:D

I have shot .0's with them in my 30/375 S.I. at 100 yards, but it is not unusual for them to shot a little better farther out.........Rich

Jeff, I really appreciate the time and effort that you have put in documenting your findings in this thread.
It was after following along and seeing the the results that were possible with good bullet placement, I decided that I would like to try them.

I had a new rifle made up of a Stiller action, 26" Maddco barrel and Manners stock,
I didn't really do much in the way of load development but my first 3 shot group with the rifle went 3/8" and chronographed at 2950fps.

After a good amount of range work out to 550yds I took the rifle for a hunt, we have good Sambar deer hunting over here and a good stag can weigh in around 600lbs.
I got an opportunity on a stag just over 400yds and steep uphill so had to take the shot sitting and resting of my forearm braced against a small tree trunk.
At the shot I have never seen a deer go down so quick, he then rolled about 70yds or so down hill.
The bullet had taken him a bit higher than I had intended, smashing the spine right where the ribs attach.
e9d5c2ba3d3d473dabb4f881a959d3d5.jpg

The next hunt I was with my son and after looking over a few deer we spotted a reasonable stag that I ranged at 821yds I set the rifle up for my son and he took the shot while I watched the stag, the shot looked good and the stag disappeared into some bush a few yards away. It was to late to get to him, so we headed back to camp and hiked up at first light. It was indeed a good hit and he was laying very close to where he was hit.
7eb480dfe5e0f69190b739deb9107b7c.jpg

36b6a666111f5874eb31c563e36a8270.jpg

It also was a steep uphill shot and the bullet exited through the front of the opposite shoulder breaking it in the process.
I really couldn't be happier in regard to the performance of these projectiles, but in all honesty wouldn't have tried them due to the fact they are labeled a target bullet, just goes to show it pays to think outside the square from time to time, thanks again Jeff.

Broz I can't thank you enough for your guidance and advice on this forum. I spent the holiday time developing a load using the 215's for my R-Bros custom .300 Win Mag. I ended up hitting an accuracy node that gave me the best 200 yard group I've ever shot. 3 shot group 3/8" center to center. That was my 4th group working up in a ladder test. Quit right there and didn't even shoot the next group. Went out the next day and validated the load again with the same results only over my chrony this time. It helps alot that I have the most fantastic rifle I've ever fired built by Travis Redell.

Was exstatic with my average velocity of 2990 and after entering all the data into my G7 I validated it on a 10 inch target at 800 yards.

Talked with Travis about it this morning and he said I could probably get more out of it but since I'm just a hunter and this gives me 1800 foot pounds of energy at 1000 yards. There's just not much more I need when I have this kind of confidence.

Looking forward to a cow elk hunt next month and seeing if I get an opportunity to stretch this out a bit.

Can't say enough about Travis. He responds to my emails same day every time I've written him. He delivered even more than he promissed on this rifle. I would not hesitate to buy another one from him again.

.300 Win Mag
Rouge Action
27" Broughton Barrel
Manners EH1
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56

Berger 215gr, .020 off lands
COAL 2.85" base to ogive using a hornady comparator
H1000 76.0 gr
CCI 250 primer
Winchester brass
2990 FPS validated out to 800 yards

Attachments

• Thor's Hammer.jpg
    Thor's Hammer.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 284
  • R-Bros Berger 215 200 yards.jpg
    R-Bros Berger 215 200 yards.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 295
It's been raining heavily here so I have been inside today reading this entire thread... and enjoying it thoroughly. My daughter calls it "NERDING" (which might be true)
I am new to this site but an experienced shooter. The 215's have performed flawlessly on many hogs up to 1200 yds in South Texas. My hat is off to Berger for this pellet. This 300 RUM, load and bullet has taught me ballistics and performance I would not have believed just a few years ago.
I am now completing a 338 Lapua and hopefully the dies will be arriving soon along with my 250 and 300 gr Bergers ......
Thanks to all for a fun read.

It's been raining heavily here so I have been inside today reading this entire thread... and enjoying it thoroughly. My daughter calls it "NERDING" (which might be true)
I am new to this site but an experienced shooter. The 215's have performed flawlessly on many hogs up to 1200 yds in South Texas. My hat is off to Berger for this pellet. This 300 RUM, load and bullet has taught me ballistics and performance I would not have believed just a few years ago.
I am now completing a 338 Lapua and hopefully the dies will be arriving soon along with my 250 and 300 gr Bergers ......
Thanks to all for a fun read.

Welcome to the forum! I am sure you will get a lot more enjoyment. There are a lot of good and knowledgable guys......Rich

I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere within this awesome thread but I haven't been able to dig it out yet. Just have a quick question about twist rates. Berger recommends a 1:9 twist for the 215 hybrid. Will my 1:10 Remington Long Range (26" barrel) be up to the task? Thanks, and I apologize if this has been covered and I just missed it!

I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere within this awesome thread but I haven't been able to dig it out yet. Just have a quick question about twist rates. Berger recommends a 1:9 twist for the 215 hybrid. Will my 1:10 Remington Long Range (26" barrel) be up to the task? Thanks, and I apologize if this has been covered and I just missed it!

The first 215's produced it was recommended on the box to use 1 in 10 twist or faster. I have shot them always from a 10 twist. Then as things progressed it was found the 9 twist would hold some higher BC at farther distances. So Berger changed their recommendation to 9 twist. I am at 4000' asl and have shot these through many 10 twist barrels with stellar results. In fact, I have a friend sneding them from a 308 win with a 12 twist to over a mile. I feel you would be fine in your 10 twist 300 win. Especially is you have some altitude where you shoot.

Jeff

The first 215's produced it was recommended on the box to use 1 in 10 twist or faster. I have shot them always from a 10 twist. Then as things progressed it was found the 9 twist would hold some higher BC at farther distances. So Berger changed their recommendation to 9 twist. I am at 4000' asl and have shot these through many 10 twist barrels with stellar results. In fact, I have a friend sneding them from a 308 win with a 12 twist to over a mile. I feel you would be fine in your 10 twist 300 win. Especially is you have some altitude where you shoot.

Jeff

+1! Update of Berger Bullets

and http://bergerbullets.com/trcguide/