BERGER 215 Hybrid

Methow Packer

Visiting with Berger I asked the question why people are confident in using this target bullet for hunting purposes. Their response was that they don't recommend it cause the target jacket is a little thicker and expansion can be compromised. However there are many hunters using the hybrid with great success. Any responses out there and can you explain why it works so well. Great BC for sure. What makes it work for you.

Ted

I think it's a good hunting bullet. The only caveat I would throw in is that it works better on big game compared to medium sized or small game. Especially in big magnums. But I think for most it goes without saying that it's not necessarily a good idea to shoot small game with a magnum 30 cal and a 215gr bullet either.

If you place it in the vitals on anything from deer sized stuff and up I think it will work as well as anything out there.

Forum member "Broz" has posted numerous threads on the 215 and 230 Berger performances on big game. He's killed "truckloads" of elk with these bullets out to I believe 900+ yards, perhaps farther. Check out his threads here on the forum. Several of my friends and I shoot them in 300WM, 300RUM and 30/378Wby with great results.

people were hunting with berger long before they had their hunting line. the expansion debate not sure if it was jacket thickness or the tip being closed off. I always make sure the tips are open and never had the 215s not work.

Here is the aforementioned thread that Broz wrote a few years ago. It is a long thread that documents 23 kills with the 215 Berger match target hybrid. The action begins with two antelope on page 6 and continues every page or so with another well documented kill including distance, impact velocity and pictures of the entrance and exit. If this thread doesn't inspire you to try the 215s nothing will.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/comparing-the-berger-210-vld-to-the-215-hybrid.88657/

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts