Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

If you go all the way through this thread you'll see more examples of close range success. I would say the 215 Hybrid is actually better for close range than the 210 hunting VLD because it has a thicker jacket and will be less prone to blowing apart.
That's true about the jacket but the hybrid has a much larger hollow cavity which helps it expand.

Alright I'm ready to start working up a load for a 300 SAUM with the 215 hybrid, it's a Rem 700 SA but I have APA DBM and a Accurate Mag magazine that lets me load to a COAL of 2.95. Using Rem brass. Does anyone have suggestions for starting loads?
Thanks!

I have shot the Berger 215s. At higher velocity they did not work for my self and another guy. Shot elk broadside just behind the shoulder and in the front shoulder. Puff with only hair and shin gone, and a rib broken. These elk had been shot at less then 50 yards. Ended up killing both bulls as they headed over a saddle at 700 yards. The Bullets worked beautifully. Both bulls dropped at 700 yards like a sack of potatoes, Boom. Muzzle velocity on both rifle was just over 3100fps.

Brian

I have shot the Berger 215s. At higher velocity they did not work for my self and another guy. Shot elk broadside just behind the shoulder and in the front shoulder. Puff with only hair and shin gone, and a rib broken. These elk had been shot at less then 50 yards. Ended up killing both bulls as they headed over a saddle at 700 yards. The Bullets worked beautifully. Both bulls dropped at 700 yards like a sack of potatoes, Boom. Muzzle velocity on both rifle was just over 3100fps.

Brian
Any chance you have pictures of the wounds? I find it hard to believe that the bullets blew up on the hide and did not penetrate.

What is COAL with the 215 Berger in the 300 Win Mag? I have a custom barrel and chamber on a Ruger 77 action with a max magazine length of 3.550". The reamer used was for a Rem 700 action with its longer mag length and an Accubond loaded long. Currently using a 180 gr Accubond loaded at mag length. That gives me a jump to the lands of 0.200", but it shoots like a laser and keeps pressures down. Kind of a Weatherby wannabe. I am getting an honest 3240 fps on top of RL-26. After reading this entire thread from end to end, I am excited to try the 215 Berger, but concerned that at mag length, the bullet might end up with the ogive in the neck. Any help with the COAL and any RL-26 data would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The 215 has a hybrid ogive making it seating depth friendly. Seat the bullet in the case neck at your chosen COAL so it fits and feeds from magazine. In most instances I have tried hybrids the chosen seating depth was accurate. You can always tweak the COAL if you are not happy with the results.

The 215 has a hybrid ogive making it seating depth friendly. Seat the bullet in the case neck at your chosen COAL so it fits and feeds from magazine. In most instances I have tried hybrids the chosen seating depth was accurate. You can always tweak the COAL if you are not happy with the results.

Thanks for the response. Would love to have just one bullet to play with and see what happens when I load it to mag length (3.550"). With the short neck on the 300 WM, the bullet might not have enough bearing surface to stay where it belongs. Would also like to measure jump to the lands in my chamber. I have plenty of room to load long, based on a long throat in my chamber, but prefer to have them in the mag for hunting. Just wondering if 3.550" COAL is doable and/or practical?

Thanks for the response. Would love to have just one bullet to play with and see what happens when I load it to mag length (3.550"). With the short neck on the 300 WM, the bullet might not have enough bearing surface to stay where it belongs. Would also like to measure jump to the lands in my chamber. I have plenty of room to load long, based on a long throat in my chamber, but prefer to have them in the mag for hunting. Just wondering if 3.550" COAL is doable and/or practical?
I think you will have quite a bit of bullet in the case but worth a try.

I think you will have quite a bit of bullet in the case but worth a try.

Have tried 178 gr ELD-X with terrible results due to over-speed. Tried 208 ELD-X and had near failure at 225 yards on a cow elk. Went to 180 gr Accubond, and took it to South Africa. Worked well on animals from Red Duiker to Nyala and shots from 50 yards to 400. All protrude deep into the case at my mandated short COAL to fit in the short Ruger magazine. Would really like to measure jump to lands in my rifle and see one in the case at 3.550". Thanks for your response.

trhall
Sorry, did not take pics of the wounds from 50 yards shots. Didn't really think to take a pick of the wounds I guess
I guess it would be hard to believe a target bullet blew up on impact at a high velocity.

Brian

I had to put a finishing shot on a deer at 30 yards with a 215 going 3100 this year. Golf ball size hole in and out.

Looks like after reading this entire thread the 7 mags get retired and replaced with a Cooper back country , 300 wm but with. A, 26 inch barrel
But do I go with 1.10 or 1.9 twist
Or I could Rebarrel the 300 weatherby back country ti( shot out barrel) to win mag

Last edited by a moderator: