Comments on HOT 7mm's

Re: Comments on HOT 7mm\'s

Well I aint tryin to start any arguements here cause they both do a hell of a job, but your contradictions are confusing the hell out of me.

We have all been down the "I dont believe etc etc etc about WildCat bullets" so I aint gonna waste the breath. I would have figured SS7MM's testing would have proven it by now, I know it has for me. As far as winddrift, drop, and retained energy I cannot see many rivals to the big 7mm, except maybe a bigger 7mm bullet!!!

On killing power the dramatic effect of the bigger 338 cal bullet impacting a elks shoulder I am sure would be more impressive.

steve

Does not really matter!!!

If the boys on this board take out a 200 gr 7mm, a 240 gr 308 or a 300 gr 338, I suspect if the opportunity for a shot arrises, we will probably all bring home the bacon!!!

They are all extreme range performers, no need to dive into another BC debate over something that we all basically agree with, they are all extreme performance long range bullets!!!

Nuff said!!

Does bring up another question though, Dave, how do you feel about the 350 gr ULD RBBT 338 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Okay, gonna leave it alone.

I still think that a 225-250gr 7mm ULD would beat the hell out of everything!!!

I guess here in a few months I will have to let actions speak louder than words.

By the way Kirby, any word on the BAT action????? I am pumped about seeing BJ's gun, outta be hell on wheels.

take it easy
steve

Lerch,

Well, I was referring to the 200 gr ULD RBBT. If we are talking about the 225 and 250 gr ULD RBBTs that will hopefully be ready this summer for us it would be a totally different story. The we would be talking about sectional densities of 0.399 and 0.443 respectively for the 225 and 250 gr ULD RBBTs.

Compare that to a 750 gr 50 cal bullet with a SD of .412!!!

I will not get into BC predictions but I will say that I would be very suprised if they were not the full equal to a 750 gr A-Max 50 cal bullet.

Totally different comparision here.

As far as BAT. Best to try to put it out of your mind. I odered mine and was told it would be 4 months, took 6 to get it here. Not saying yours will take that long but it may very well!!! Hard telling.

Kirby Allen(50)

I was talking about the 200gr ULD originally, I was just saying that their shouldnt be any need for discussion if their were any heavier 7mm bullets.

I am ready to see those bullets!!!!!!! Richard said he would make some into soft points for us so we could use them as pencils!!! Ha ha ha

I am so **** ready to get this gun, HURRY UP BAT!!!!!

take it easy
steve

To the Poster - As the proud owner of a 30-378 I can say that it's not a good candidate for .284 It's all a balancing act between how much powder you burn to get a high velocity and how long the barrel will last.

I think that the 7UM and the 30UM with sub 100 grain cases are about the top all around performers with sub 30 inch barrels. I own a wild cat 7mm STW. Wonderful elk gun with it's 28 inch target barrel.

Just a side note. Muzzle blast and heat is the only negative aspect of a 30-378. Well my friends have said that even with the brake it really kicks with max loaded 200+ grain bullets and the 240's are really bad. When the barrel goes I think that the next go around it will become a 338-378 with a 30 inch barrel

Kirby,a 350/338 kinda boggles my mind,not that that's saying much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif i've seen the posts on the big338 and when i posted, i was trying to say the 350 would be a better bullet than the 300 for that big case.to say it will be a hammer is an understatement.i'm thinkin elk and up for animal size or extreme range for smaller stuff.of course that's what the purpose seems to be.if i could afford a bigger action,would probably build one of those but for now my little lapua will have to do.

Dave,

I would agree, for the Lapua class rounds, the 300 gr bullet is pretty much a perfect match for a combo of velocity and ballistic performance.

Really need to get into the class of the 338-378, 338 Kahn or 338-416 Imp for the 350 gr pills to be really effective in comparision to the 300 gr bullets just because of the shear velocity advantage of the lighter bullet.

In the 408 based wildcats I think the 350 will be simply perfect!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.