Comments from the Range

Greg Duerr

I enjoy going out to our Public Range. Mostly because it lets me see what my rifle will really do and eliminates all the errors I might make. Second I enjoy talking to everyone and asking about their rifles, where they are hunting, etc.
I never walk away without some great comments and some unusual ones

Was told by one guy who shoots a 300 Win Mag that He used a 30-06 last year and shot at a nice buck and both shots fell short .................he realized that the 30-06 was not good past 400yds, his estimated distance to the buck, so he purchased a 300 Mag in order to get the extended Range.

When waiting for a Target break I noticed a guy that had fired 8 shots and four of the 8 cases had blown primers.................the primers were totally gone. Asked him about his load and was told he has been using that load for about 3 months now and was getting good accuracy. He told me that the only problem was that the cases were no good after the first loading............................???????????? I told him that it was because his charge was way to high................he told me he got it from a reloading book.........................so it had to be OK

Two weeks ago I talked with an older gentleman that had a new Cooper Phoenix 22-250. He was going to take it back as he could not get it to shoot groups under 1.5 " I asked the Range Master about it later, and he told me that he has complained before, so he test fired it and shot a 5 shot group that went under .5 I guess this is his second Cooper and he told me he would never buy one again..........

I never have a dull moment out there and talked with a young guy that had his daughter out shooting as she had draw an Antelope tag. He did not know the area she drew for and I talked to him several times over the phone and told him where to go. She shot a nice buck opening day and they were both really excieted and were very greatful for my help.................................

I see things at the range and shake my head and snicker. The guy that's shooting 400 yards at a buck should not be shooting that far if he doesn't know the drop of his cartridge choice. And the guy blowing primers is going to hurt himself and others at the range I would stay away from him. The range master should say something to him I would put it in the category of responsible gun handling.

GD, my only recurring aggravation at the range is having some wannabe gang banger placed to my left who empties his 40 round cheap-*** SKS mag as fast as he can showering me or my grandson with hot cheap-*** steel cases. Can't wait for cooler weather and the solitude of the desert.

Our Range Master told the guy with the Cooper that there was nothing wrong with the Rifle.........................but he is out there with a new one that does not shoot either, according to him...............

Our Range Master will not tolerate ANYONE tossing brass around anyone............they offer Nets that attach to the Shooting bench for Semi autos .................................AND yes this time of year is crazy with everyone getting out to sight in their rifles right before Deer season opens.
I do meet some really nice knowledgeable guys

I shot a guys 300 WIn Mag next to me that was shooting at the 1000 yd 12"x12" plate He had a NF 32x and it was amazing scope. He does 1000yd shooting. I had never shot a rifle with a 12oz trigger. I did hit the plate twice at 1000yds.............opened my eyes to LR Hunting.

A wide variety of shooters at the range. On Mondays is when the really skilled shooters show up that really know what they are doing.............guys shooting 7x57 AI..............20 Vartarg's 6x47 Lapua ..............and that's when you get some stiff competition.

All in all it a great place to talk to guys and you get a variety of different aspects of shooting.

I have learned not to go on the weekends.their is a lot of people and it makes me nervous.I'm all for people shooting and promoting our sport. But you get people with there girlfriends shooting guns that are not experienced I seen guns pointed in the wrong direction many times by some young girl because it scared her or kicked her to hard a lot of times its with semi auto guns with about 19 rounds left In the mag and her boyfriend and his buddies laughing and spraying bullets down range. Then when I go retrieve my target that I spent the last hour and a half doing load development.(shooting three letting it cool etc.) Has been sprayed with AR and AK bullets. Its usually pretty obvious where my shots are but ***. SHOOT YOUR OWN TARGET.....

Our Range Master is very upfront and to the point...............One mistake a warning and he lets everyone there know who he is talking to. Next mistake and that person is history................ He will help you gather up your stuff and your gone.

Our county does not like spending the $$ and would love to have an accident there so they could use the money for more important things, like giving it to Illegals that just arrive here from our southern boarders.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.