.308 Ammunition Choice / Transitioning from the range to the field

cwareham

Hi all-

I'm new to the forum and to recreational rifle shooting. I competed nationally in skeet shooting in high school and college, have shot my fair share of quail, and did well with an M-4 and SAW in the Army, but I'm just now starting to get interested in engaging smaller targets further out. I've recently moved to Utah, and ultimately want to take advantage of the big game hunting opportunities here.

I recently purchased a Remington 700 5r, and have outfitted it with SWFA's supersniper scope, and had my first day at the range yesterday. After some user error with scope mounting (don't ask, it's embarrassing) I shot a couple of 1" groups at 100 yards just before the range closed. I was using 168gr Federal American Eagle OTM that I picked up for $16/box at the local gun shop.

Before I go to the store to buy more ammo in 20 rd boxes, I'd like to get some advice on ammunition selection so I can feel good about buying larger volumes.

Unless there's a really good reason not to, I'd like to plan to shoot something like that 168gr American Eagle OTM ammo or the 150gr Federal American Eagle (AE308D) for the next few months as I familiarize myself with the rifle shooting between 100 and 300 yards.

Part of my selection criteria will be the ability to find a good hunting round (as you guys know both of those rounds I'm considering for target practice aren't soft-tip) with ballistics matching the target-shooting round that I can easily transition to when it's time to go hunting.

Cost is a big consideration for the target rounds thus the selections I've mentioned, which are both in the $15 range, but I'm here to learn if there are other options.

So, my question is, what's a good choice for an inexpensive target round that will allow me to easily transition to a hunting round?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Chris

There are Lot's of target quality hunting ammo available,you just have to shoot it in your rifle
to find out what it likes.

I now load nothing but hunting bullets because the new bullets are excellent and with all of
the new powders 1/4 MOA are very possible.

For the person that doesn't reload as long as you buy factory ammo with the better bullets
they will perform at great distance.

Buy one box at a time and have a system for comparison (Clean, shoot 5 and clean) with
each brand and a trend will appear.

Once you find the best accuracy ammo for your rifle try to go to the place you bought it
and buy 3 or 4 + box's with the same lot #.

100 rounds will normally last a hunter years.

Target bullets as a rule are slightly more accurate (but Not allways) than hunting bullets
because of jacket thickness,controled expansion and other requirements for the hunting
bullet that is not a consideration on the target bullet.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Hey, thanks for that.

Do you have any experience with that american eagle 168gr OTM round, or the Federal AE308D 150gr? I picked up on a review that the AE308D's ballistics match those of the 150gr Federal Vital Shok with a nosler partition round.

Is there a resource online that lists ballistics 'matches' among cartridge types? I could probably try to gather up all the ballistics data from a bunch of different rounds and try to match them up, but if someone's already done the work.... :^).

Best,
Chris

Hunting on the Federal site I'm not finding a good match for the 168gr American Eagle OTM's ballistics in a soft tip round. I've attached the ballistics sheet here:

Federal Premium - Rifle Details

Any recommendations on a soft-tip round that would exhibit close-enough ballistics to match the performance of that cheaper round?

Thanks!
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.