Colorado 61

Jim,

I've hunted in 61 and 62 for elk all my life, and for someone who isn't quite sure what to do I would suggest hunting off of Divide Road. We've had a lot of success, hunting on almost any ridge between Campbell Point and all the way down just past the Tongue. We usually drop in around mile marker 31 or just past that. Honestly just follow the bugles, put in the work and you should get a great bull

I personally love to hunt right around mile marker 32, drop in off the side and play the wind and bugles from there.

Good luck to you sir

Jim,

I've hunted in 61 and 62 for elk all my life, and for someone who isn't quite sure what to do I would suggest hunting off of Divide Road. We've had a lot of success, hunting on almost any ridge between Campbell Point and all the way down just past the Tongue. We usually drop in around mile marker 31 or just past that. Honestly just follow the bugles, put in the work and you should get a great bull

Wow, you have been able to hunt 61 what a lucky guy. 2 years ago we hunted 62 and actually rented a cabin from Austin Massy on the 61 side of Divide road. I don't remember what mile marker but it was a about a 45 minute drive back the worst wash board of a road pulling a trailer around 20 mph to keep from bouncing out of truck. WE didn't have good luck 2012 3rd rifle they had a bad drought and seemed like everything moved out accordingly to the locals. WE kind of figured the 61 bulls would cross over but they knew to stay down in. Austin is an outfitter also stopped in one day said a he one hunter out and they was seeing 30 bulls a day. I would like to go back where I was hunting I could set up for agood long range shot.

Mike33,

61 takes so many points to draw I haven't got to hold the tag much, but my family hunts together so among us I've been able to hunt 61 many many times (almost annually) even for cows just to fill the freezer. There's a lot of land to hunt and some years are worst than others, but we've had a lot of success pretty close to divide and seen some monsters. Had a friend who shot a 380 class right in the same area we hunt a few years ago. I can absolutely believe someone saying they saw 30 bulls a day, because if they're rutting and you're in the right area that's the reality of 61 and why the tags are so coveted. Hopefully this year is a good year for hunting. I myself and hunting 62 this year, see what I can stir up.

What would be your best advise for me at 54 years old and 4 elk points. Should I bite the bullet and pay the money for a voucher or what. I only rifle hunt always did 3rd season. Do you know Austin Massey?

I don't know Austin Massey, but it's likely I've seen him and not known it. I know other outfitters though and ranchers in the area, such as the Wymers. Actually I talked to Wymer two weekends ago when I was up there and they're selling vouchers this year, they have 7 this year and had 42 applicants. The price tag was $6500 per tag and said he was likely raising the price soon because of all the applicants. It would be great to buy a voucher but as far as I know it's not that easy to get your hands on one unless you have connections which I definitely don't.

Its bugging me I cant remember exact part I hunted. I can tell you coming from Grand Junction way in. After you go up all those steep switch backs and get to top. It took 30 + minutes to get to cabin pulling a trailer with 4 wheelers it was so bouncy probably drove around 25. His cabin we rented was down in from seeing distance on divide road on the 61 side. Im thinking I drove another 3-4 miles down the road and turned left hunted that area. I loved the area except games was scarce that year. I actually sat up my edge on my portable shooting bench had my kowa highlanders also sat up. I could definitely see a lot farther than I could shoot. There was 9 of us we took 1 small bull seen another legal one but couldn't get a shot. Seen very few deer. I was at like an intersection and a few locals actually stopped by and talked. They was the ones telling us the low rain fall that year the game moved away. One guy said about someone found a 400+ bull I think the year before on the 61 side that got away from a bowhunter. I would like top go back the cabin was nice everything we needed and convenient. We only paid 50.00 per night to stay there. Austin of course is a local rancher and outfitter real good guy. Someone even said they name one of the roads after his dad down on the 61 side. I really think with my age and waited to long to come out west I need to break down and buy a voucher, I will never probably be able to hunt 61 otherwise. I don't care to pay some of those prices but I would go 6k.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.