unit 61 for elk

Depends on what season you draw as to where you hunt. Those elk are very susceptible to pressure and weather on top of the plateau. I have backpacked all of it and taken some very nice elk, deer and bear in that unit. Got a fall fat bear out of there with my bow one year that weighed over 600 pounds. Beautiful redish-brown boar.

First I wouldn't draw for any unit unless you have done your homework. For Unit 61 if you feel your going to draw for that unit which season is it you are trying to draw for. Second are you doing this for what specific elk season, early rifle archery etc? Do you know anything about this unit? goto the Colorado Depatment of wildlife website check the statistics for the specific area and Hunting season dates. You may find some other areas you like better statistically that is. http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdon...47-8643ED887FFF/0/2007StatewideElkHarvest.pdf check the statistics for this area. Primarily hunting is hunting just make sure you use your 14 perference points wisely. You may want do a scouting trip or hire a decent guide. Best of Luck. When I used my 14 perference points back in 2004 I went on a Wildlife ranch hunt and saw plenty of good quality bulls. I'm currently sitting on 7 for pronghorn and 6 for deer and 2 for Elk. Just keep the rotation going is my MOTTO.

unit 61

Yes I'm somewhat familar with the area. I have a ex Div of Wildlife freind in Pueblo that use to manage this unit. (He's retired now.) We hunt together every yr. I first started accmulating points by putting in ranching for wildlife but then the Div, changed it to residents only. My buddy and I from Ark. have 4 mules that we take every fall. We pack ourselves in and out. My Pueblo freind will be going into this area approx. Once a month till season. He has 13 points and it didn't take as many for him. We put in as a group

Sounds like you have done some pretty good ground work and have the right equipment
to get back into some pretty remote areas in unit 61. Does it really take 14 points to pull a tag in this area? What season are you trying to Pull for? Best of Luck

unit 61

Muzzle Loader I think 12 or 13 I believe 11 for 1st rifle I've been putting in for 201 but it seems they go up 2 and you receive 1

BQP
I hear you regarding unit 201 and Perference points.
I beleive unit 61 is a good area historically for large bulls.
Are you going blackpowder for elk is this unit?
I like using every day I get during any hunting season.
Isn't Black powder a 10 day season?
If your hunting BP I think unit, I belevie 76 or 67 the head waters to Rio
Grande river would be another good area. Its up pretty high so the earlier
seasons tend to be better, but when the snows come in they can get
pushed down from these higher elevation areas. Best of Luck

I have hunted unit 62 a few years and I also have a hunting friend that lives in Montrose. Unit 61 has been producing some nice bulls in recent years. If you draw, pm me and I will put you in touch with my friend. He bow hunts and will be able to help you with some scouting information. As you know, elk move with the weather so information close to your hunt would be best.

I hunt the 3rd rifle season, but won't make it this year. We camp just off Divide road and hunt up or down the mountain depending upon weather. Two years ago out of 10 hunters we took nine elk. Lots of fun and lots of work! Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts