Colo. GMU 61

Keflavik68

My buddies and I got a first rifle season bull tag after 13 yrs. in unit 61. We've been scouting. And found a few "good" spots to hunt but could use some info on possible other spots. Also was wondering if anyone know about where all the outfitters run due to the fact that one spot we thought about hunting we went to last weekend and there was 6 huge outfitter tents set up. We are DIY hunters and can't compete with horses. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I hunted 62 last year 3rd rifle and actually stayed in 61. We rented a cabin from an outfitter name Austin Massey. There was 11 of us and was treated well of cabin rental very spacious and priced right. We was around 17 miles in on the divide road but had little luck on the 62 side. A few locals told us only 9" of rain all year caused everything to move out, very little game we saw and we hunted hard. On flip side talking with Austin 1 day he was guiding a client and they seen like 30 some bulls. Client heard of a storm coming and took a non trophy size of what 61 has to offer. If I waited that long I would employ an outfitter unless your fairly young you will probably never hunt there again. Pm me for any other details I still have a map of the Uncompadre and can give you better details where we was. Also I can give you Austins phone number.
MIke

You were there third season? Wow maybe lucky you didn't get snowed in. I have a map and have been going out every weekend to scout. Kinda like that tabewatch area ( not spelled right). And one other area going to a different one next week

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.