Colorado gmu 62

bjsiillinois

Was planning a elk hunt in unit 62 west of Delta Colorado next year, was wondering if anyone has hunted around there, if they seen much elk, and deer?

Hunt there every year. Usually bowhunting. Better elk than deer hunting. Don't forget a fall turkey tag as well.

Hunt there every year. Usually bowhunting. Better elk than deer hunting. Don't forget a fall turkey tag as well.

Baddaddy,
You live around there? I was planning on hunting 2nd rifle season for elk, and hopefully deer if I can draw a tag. Was planning on hunting Rubideau creek, down in the basins. Going to pack in with horses and mules to get away from the crowd. Do you hunt in that area? My buddy is going to get a cow elk tag, and a bear tag, so hopefully we can bring something home. Would like to talk to you about the area, if you hunt around Rubideau Creek.

I live in Delta. I hunt the area from 25 Mesa Road over to Transfer Road so there are some areas there I maybe able to help you with.

I hunted the UNCOMPADRE in 2012. I loved the area we took 1 bull and seen little game. Talking with some of the locals it was a bad year due to extreme low rain fall lot of game moved out. We rented a cabin on the 61 side from Austin Massey it was a great deal. Several places to stretch a barrel there.

I live in Delta. I hunt the area from 25 Mesa Road over to Transfer Road so there are some areas there I maybe able to help you with.

Where would you advise for deer hunting unit wise. I hunted 52 back in 2009-11 never had a deer tag elk hunting and always seen deer. I was with an outfitter Kent Fishcer from Austin area. He lost his lease on a nice ranch in Cedaredge area and I never went back.

Mike33
So you hunted unit 62? I was wondering how the deer population was there. Am hoping to draw a deer tag for next year. So where was you hunting in relation to Delta? I was going to go west of Delta on Mesa 25 road to divide Rd, and hunt south along Rubideau creek.

You guys brought back old memories for me! back when I live in SE Texas, we drove up a couple years to bowhunt the Uncompahgre, out of Montrose. 40 miles west on the main road and we camped/hunted down Trevor Trail. 79-80 (been awhile ago, ha) back then there was a ton of game still high in late august. I took mule deer, joined the "missed an elk" Club with my Jennings Arrowstar 4 wheel, "lightning speed at 220fps" Compound, ha. We heard wolves every night, and I was only 15 steps from one as he trotted down a game trail in dark timber from me! I was called an outright "liar" at a sporting goods store in town ( the one that had Kirt Donnerss poached Mule Deer heads! Beautiful country, easy to hunt ( unless you drop down into Potters Canyone, then god help you getting out! Good luck to you!

Jim,

Travor is an area I hit every year. Potter is a pain unless you have horses.Then its a great time. Deer population declined. Plenty of coyotes though. Great place to spend time.

Mike33
So you hunted unit 62? I was wondering how the deer population was there. Am hoping to draw a deer tag for next year. So where was you hunting in relation to Delta? I was going to go west of Delta on Mesa 25 road to divide Rd, and hunt south along Rubideau creek.

From the Grand Junction end we entered Uncompadre on that side and went probably a good 15-20 miles on the Divide rd. It was a good road but it sucked also. Such as the way it was graded you could not drive over 15-and 20 top speed due to being bum py. Anyway we rented a cabin on the 61 side and going that direction 62 was on left side. This was in 3rd season of 2012 I seen a few elk night before season. During season I saw 0 elk and maybe 5 mule deer does. However talking to the locals it was the worst these guys have seen in many years due to they only had like 9" of rain all year and game moved out. I like it though and would really like to go back. There was 11 of us we took 1 bull and it was the only bull we saw. WE had few deer tags but did not take any. Kind of hoping those big bruts from the 61 side would come up and cross. Not a chance they knew to stay down there.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.