Collecting Bipod Statistics! PLEASE HELP!!!

JAgee

I am doing a project on bipods for school and I need some information regarding bipod usage in the U.S. If I could get your help it would be greatly appreciated.

1) Do you own a bipod? If so, what kind(s)?
2) What do you look for the most in bipods? Weight? Durability? Compatibility? Cost?
3) What would be the most you would pay to have your idea of "the perfect bipod?" And what makes this the "perfect bipod?"

Thanks guys! If you could help me out and ask others to do the same I would be grateful.

gun)

1) Do you own a bipod? If so, what kind(s)? Sinclair, TipTop, Harris, ALS, FN
2) What do you look for the most in bipods? Weight? Durability? Compatibility? Cost? Repeatability, repeatability, repeatability and ability to support weight.
3) What would be the most you would pay to have your idea of "the perfect bipod?" And what makes this the "perfect bipod? $399, Ability to be used from 22LR bench to 50cal prone.

I have both models of Sinclair. Both modified. The Gen I has a wider stance. The Gen II has rigid leg clamps. No more rocking/collapsing legs. I have another mod to try on the Gen I, it needs to be wider still and "sling" the rifle below the leg pivot points.

I've replaced most of my Harris with TipTop, they are stronger, better made, include all the add-on and yes cheaper. Just a couple odd ball configurations like the long ones.

The TipTop comes in just about every imaginable configuration. All the features you want to add to the Harris are included. The one weakness is that the tilt lock is no better than the Harris, fine for up to 9lb rifles but enough of my rifles are over 9lb, more like 13lb plus that it is something for the manufacturer to work on. Everything else is better but not the tilt lock. I will be talking to the manufacturer after Christmas. She lives in Colorado and is a shooting enthusiast and engineer.

My lightly modified Sinclair Gen II, just about does it. I did have a clamping screw come loose a couple weekends ago while shooting the 50 DTC. My fault.

One of my shooting mates at the UnlimitedRange.org - Home match for November 2016 had an Atlas. This one actually worked. Found out later, he did to the Atlas what I did to the Sinclair. Made a new center section that spread the legs and slung the rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
1). Yes. UTG, Harris, Parker & Hale, Atlas
2). Load Consistency Repeatable and functionality. Atlas has the best tension, pivot and canting but it's load and set up is clunky. Parker and Hale is simple and elegant but can be unforgiving in pivot and canting.
3). Money is a tool that gets me other tools. So there is no "how much I would pay" answer.

Harris S. Most important features are strength and functionality. Price not a big issue.

Go the "The Precision Rifle Blog" for a rundown on the most popular bipods among competition riflemen, especially in the Precision Rifle Series.

Personally I run an Atlas on my 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle. Strong, no exposed springs and I'm able to angle the legs forward, straight down or angled back or one angled forward, one back.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.