Climbing tree stand options

birddog 68

What's everyone using?
I currently have a API grand slam that I have been using for over 20 years and love how stable it is in the tree and is very comfortable. What I dislike is how darn heavy it is. I think it's 29 lbs
It's ok for my normal deer hunting spots but after using it for bear hunting yesterday with a very long hike along with my backpack and a rifle I sure would have liked to have something a bit lighter.
Here's what I would like : under 20 lbs, comfortable and somewhat quiet setting up. Probably not possible nowadays but a USA made climber.
Thanks for any suggestions.

My favorite is Ol Man…I've had several but it to me is by far better than most any I've used. I've got both the the steel model called "vision" and an Alumalite CTS. All day comfort and grabs and climbed any tree you can use a climber on easily. The Alumalite is about 21 lbs but the way it folds up flat, it packs easily. The steel weighs more but feels less as well because it's right on you and not hanging way off. And my comparison comes from owning Summit open shot deluxe, Lone Wolf Sit and climb "wide", and a couple API climbers. I prefer the Alumalite over the steel because it is a lil lighter and has curved arms on the sides so you got a lil more wiggle room on smaller trees. I've had the steel one since 2003 and it's about time to let it go. They climb quiet and set up very fast.
Here's pic of the old Steel Ol Man climber.
IMG_0763.jpeg

Old school porta climb Cadillac and some homemade stands.

I like to sit facing the tree, and as far as I know there really aren't any new climbers that let me do that. I shop for new often but can't find any. I'd love something more packable

Porta climb still makes them but they are larger and slightly different. They just don't collapse like the mainstream stuff

Being Sasquatch size, had Summit Goliath (giant one) for many years then dropped back to Summit Viper Plus which I still have and use even at 73. My only complaint is how fast cable shrink wrap deteriorates and needs to be replaced. You can buy shrink wrap at Grainger cheaper by bulk.
View attachment 512458
You northern folks all tote you summits upside down😉.

I tote mine the right way…..cables up.

If you hafta perform any high performance maneuvers while carrying your summit, you want your cables up so you don't get a foot caught up in the back swing of a runnin/jumpin high step.

Titan or Goliath. Only way to go, for us full grown fellers.

You northern folks all tote you summits upside down😉.

I tote mine the right way…..cables up.

If you hafta perform any high performance maneuvers while carrying your summit, you want your cables up so you don't get a foot caught up in the back swing of a runnin/jumpin high step.

Titan or Goliath. Only way to go, for us full grown fellers.
That was my only gripe, cables tripping me as I jump over trees and dash through the blow downs! Gonna have to flip that dang thing. Learn something everyday I guess.!