Cleaning Type I Browning BAR

merbeau

Hi

I recently purchased a Type I Browning BAR made in 1969. It must have been a safe queen given the excellent condition it was in. I download the 1970s manual from the Browning web site and the instructions for cleaning do not match my configuraton.

My rifle has a on top of the gas exchange a slotted vent port with a washer underneath. I do not want to take this down for cleaning until I can establish the correct procedure. Browning will not provide technical help for older models.

Is anyone familiar with this system?

Thanks

Robert

Yeah,

Mines a grade II. I gave it to my son. I will let you know when we actually have to clean it any deeper than surface area and a spot of oil in the action. These things dont jam. They seldom need a deep cleaning. The only upgrade you may ever need is there is a steel bushing that can be replaced by a stainless one. I had it done years ago. I honestly cant remember the last time that rifle ever jammed with factory ammo. If you do take it down to that level to clean, you might as well replace the bushing as you will likely never need to clean it that well again.

We must be close. Mine is also a Grade II. Mine is in 7mm magnum caliber. Glad to know that deep cleaning is not needed often. My first semi automatic. Things are a little different.

Robert

Glad to hear the Winchester ammunition works well for your son. I typically reload but have a box of Nosler factory custom that I have shot with good results.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.