Browning BAR

BARatdistance

Hello folks, I'm kinda new to this forum and medium bore rifles. I have a 1971 Browning BAR in 338 win mag, scoped with a solid 3-9 Leupold. I am having trouble with consistent groups. For example, I've shot a one inch group with the 225 grain corelokts, but then subsequent shots are all over the place. Is this a barrel cooling issue or what? Does anyone else shoot an older BAR in 338 wm and what factory ammo do you guys like? I tried handloading for it, but ran into too many issues with the semi-autos and brass sizing. I am trying to get this gun to shoot 1 inch@100, don't expect anything better from factory ammo, but more importantly, I want consistency. Any ideas?

I had a 1971 BAR Grade II 7 Mag.

Sometimes the forend tip of the those rifles bears on the barrel. If yours does, relieve it until you can slide a dollar bill between barrel and forend tip.

Mine worked fine with a small base auto type FL sizing die...but make sure the die is screwed down hard against the case holder.

Last edited:
I had a friend that bought a brand new BAR in 7rem mag back in the early 80's and the very best we could ever make it shoot was maybe 1.5 inch group @100yds and that was maybe only once or twice. Usually it was in the 2in. + group size. This was with a variety of factory ammo.

I want to believe he just had a bad one. Good luck.

I've had several of the BAR, and yes the barrels are very thin and heating up can be a problem with them. I would buy a small base die you will have know problems with reloads cycling then. I would also make sure barrel is clean before I proceed any further.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.