Browning BAR .338 Win Mag

ScottBerish

LongRangers,

Need your help. I purchased one of these from an elderly local gentleman here NIB. He told me it was purchased by him in 2000. When I got it home and ran the serial number, turns out it is a Type II BAR, not Mark II (built in 1990, the Mark II came out in 1992....)

This rifle is gorgeous, has the Williams sights on it and the FN Belgian proof on the barrel.

However, I'm having doubts as I am familiar with the BAR Mark II, but know little about the pre-Mark II models. Google hasn't helped much.

Is there any significant difference in the pre-Mark II and Mark II? I know the mags do not interchange. ANY info you can give me would be great. I plan on this being a 400 yard or so elk/moose/bear gun. Should I move the gun for a Mark II?

Thanks!!

Scott

I have one from 1971, BAR safari 338, and with handloads it will perform like a bolt action. I warn you though, have someone who knows about the BAR clean the gas chamber every few hundred rounds. If you maintain it, the bolt and trigger will last a lifetime. I shoot sub MOA groups with mine, and your is about 20 years newer.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.