Browning BAR

vanhornsky

I have to Browning BAR rifles in 7mm Mag and they will not group at all. The best group we can get out of them is about 4" at 100 they are up and down and left and right shooting the same way every time. It does not matter if it is factory or reloaded bullets. Does anybody have simular results or maybe an idea of what is going on?

I had a Browning Bar Mark 1 that did the exact same thing. It was a 300 Win Mag. I tried three different factory loads and two different Hand loads in it. I could not get any of them to pull better then 3.5 inches at a hundred yards. So yep you guessed it, It went away. If you find something that works to bring your groups in I would be interested to know what it is. I just got tired of trying and ran out of patience. I sold it and bought a Ruger Hawkeye 300 win mag that will shoot sub MOA all day. I was quite disappointed. I really liked the gun. Just unacceptable the way it shot.

This is common with a Browning BAR.
The normal fix is to place a washer on the stud that holds on the forend.

This alters the clearance of the forend to barrel and rails. It usually does the trick. You may have to play about with washer size and nut tension etc to get it just right.

Once you have it worked out that Browning should shoot very well. I had a BAR in .338WM that was very accurate after this mod. Pitty my Government made me hand it in to be destroyed, it was my favorite rifle.

This alters the clearance of the forend to barrel and rails. It usually does the trick. You may have to play about with washer size and nut tension etc to get it just right.

Once you have it worked out that Browning should shoot very well. I had a BAR in .338WM that was very accurate after this mod. Pity my Government made me hand it in to be destroyed, it was my favorite rifle.

They have a history of shooting ether very good or very bad. They are good rifles and a
pleasure to shoot when they shoot. but when they don't they are a pain and there is not
much you can do to fix them.

J E CUSTOM

vanhornsky,
You might think about having a BOSS from Browning put on for you... I've seen that pick up the accuracy on the BAR's....

Thanks for all the great replies! I have been shooting off of bipods will this affect it. I am going to try the washer to see if this helps. My wife has an elk hunt in two weeks and I have just been scratching my head at this. I have tried a bunch of stuff to "cure" this problem. What gets me is it used to shot 1 to 1 1/4 inch groups all day with my reloads. I have desembed it and put it back together to fix some stuff. I just dont know.

vanhornsky

That's a great tip.

Once you have it worked out that Browning should shoot very well. I had a BAR in .338WM that was very accurate after this mod. Pitty my Government made me hand it in to be destroyed, it was my favorite rifle.

That sucks. The Bill of Rights of 1690-91(which applies in all Commonwealth countries) clearly states no fine or imprisonment except upon conviction. Obviously all the law abiding Oz citizens were treated like convicted criminals, and punished for the very suspicious Port Arthur massacre.

Seizing your lawfully acquired property is theft, no matter what the excuse, and no matter what financial compensation, if any.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.