Browning BAR

mtelkhntr78

Fellas,
My dad is looking to buy a Browning BAR in 30-06. I am trying to help him shop for a rifle but I have to admit I dont know that much about the gun. I am a Model 70 man so Browning isn't really my taste:D. I tried to convince him on the Winchester but he is dead set on a Browning BAR.
I want him to get a good gun so I am reaching out for some advice. What are some things I should look for in a BAR? I believe some were made in Japan and some in Belgium? Is a newer model better than an older model? How is accuracy?
Any thoughts or advice would be great
Thanks!

I have a 300wsm with the boss. It is a year 2000 safari model with the BOSS.
It is a true shooter. I've only shot it at 100yds but it is a .5" rifle, and yes the BOSS actually
works.

I also just got a 338 with a boss and a 243 without a boss but haven't tried them.
I will let you know when I shoot them.

Last edited:
When my Dad's old favorite deer rifle went sour (old semi-auto Remington) I decided it was time for a change. I did a lot of research and decided to get him a BAR (he always preferred semi-autos for hunting). I looked into it a bit, found that there are (this was several years ago) several models out there.

Several of the "newer" models out there are offered with an "Aircraft-grade alloy" receiver and some (safari grade for example) are available with a steel receiver.

I used to know how to tell where certain models were made, but I don't remember any more. I believe at least some of them are stamped with their place of build.

What we ended up getting for him was an older model safari grade with some engraving and great overall condition. It has open sights with a scope mounted on it.

It really is a fantastic rifle. It has a good feel. It comes up quick. It has worked so far without failure. My Dad told me that the last time he shot some paper with it he shot a 3 shot group and all the shots were touching and in the center of the target (100 yds).

I can understand why someone would want one. Semi auto, good accuracy, good handling, and in 30'06 you can get ammo almost anywhere, hunt about anything in N America and still reach out a bit with it.

Happy Shopping! :D

If your dad would want a 7mm Rem Mag. I have a nice BAR with the BOSS that is in great condition and would sell at a good price.

i got a belgium made 338winmag and love it. the belgium made are the older more sought after rifles. i dont think the japan rifles are hurting in anyway, havent shot one. my dad also a 25yr old bar in 243, has never cleaned it and it has never jammed. They are great guns.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.