Cleaning barrels...

ShootMo

Hi all! I've been digging into research about barrel cleaning and barrel products. I'd like to know the consensus of the great shooters here.
1. Products you prefer.
2. Bore guide use.
3. Bronze brush or nylon.

BoreTech Eliminator and JB Paste when needed for the throat area.
I prefer the Possom Hollow bore guide
I prefer bronze brushes. I have nylon, but they don't seem to get out the carbon as well.

Just today I cleaned up my 7 mag. 17 rounds through it with VV N570. I cleaned it with the nylon brush first and thought I would be done. Had to go back through with the bronze brush.

I have tried to clean the muzzle brake with the nylon and I can see that it just isn't removing the good stuff. Can't imagine the stalagmite like surface in the throat coming out with them...just my take.

I've been using Butches Bose Shine for powder fouling then Bore Tech Carbon Remover. Sometimes I'll us Bore Tech Copper remover.

Bore Guide = yes.

I use a bronze brush but will pass it from chamber to muzzle, remove it from rod, remove rod and reattach. Repeat for 10 passes then patch out. Repeat as needed.

I have used with success Montana Xtreme copper killer, Boretech Eliminator, and Shooter's Choice. All of those work well. I'll also add, I use Iosso paste whenever there's a buildup of carbon fouling. It has saved me when I have a severely fouled barrel.

Always use a boreguide. I have a cheap Tipton one that works fine for me.

I use to exclusively use nylon brushes but have switched back to bronze because they clean better and I haven't found any real world negative results using them.

Last edited:
I always thought my barrels were clean enough until I got a Teslong bore scope.
I have used all the cleaners over 50 plus years and have settled on Wipe Out/Patch Out with accelerator and a nylon brush most of the time. I also use Butches on occasion.
The Teslong caused me to use bore paste sometimes and it leaves the bore shiny. Don't know if it is really necessary but sure let's you see the detail. I carefully use CLR for that pesky carbon ring sometimes.