Barrel cleaning

gmoose

When I clean my 300 wby barrel and use Hoppe's #9 copper remover I think I have my barrel clean but I decide to use a brass brush with the #9 and I get more black out, no blue color. I decide to use Montana x-treme Copper killer 50BMG special formula using a brass brush and I continue to get blue. Is this blue copper or is it blue coming of this brass brush caused by Montana x-treme. In other words is it possible to continue to get blue off the brass brush caused by this Montana x-treme or does this blue continue to be more copper, thanks

Use the brush to scrup and get some nice jags to push patches with after the brushing. The ones with the orings that are caliber specific are some of the best IMHO. And get an aluminum jag for each caliber you clean as well. After the brushing and patches I will run a patch or two with the aluminum alloy jag to see if the copper is out yet or not. It will stop you from getting false positives with the brass jags. If I still see a little blue on the patch over the aluminum jag I go back to the regular jag and patch and keep cleaning. I used to see nickel plated jags for this reason but I would caution using them because nickel is hard and could damage the crown. If you do use nickel coated jags for copper checking unscrew them after you push a patch through and don't pull them back across the crown. This should let you know when the copper is or isn't out.

Brass brushes will give a false reading. The only way to know is to push a few very tight patches thru and see what they tell you. Blue is copper, black is powder fouling. A bore does not need to be squeaky clean.

Brass brushes will give a false reading. The only way to know is to push a few very tight patches thru and see what they tell you. Blue is copper, black is powder fouling. A bore does not need to be squeaky clean.

I use boretech eliminator. Must use the proper bore guide. Use their nylon brushes and jags. No brass! A couple of wet patches. Let it soak 5 or 10 minutes. Really wet nylon brush 5 strokes. Let soak 10 or 15 min. Follow with a dry patch. All the mess comes out. Couple of more dry patches and if they come out clean then you are done if no repeat.

the eliminator gets the copper. Soak and clean will get it out.

montana extreme or sweets is only for when you have allowed the copper to build up. If you use brass jags or brushes you will chase the blue forever.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.