Barrel cleaning?

isaaccarlson

I got my 22-250 several years ago. It had been parked in a safe for 15 years. The guy I got it from said he got it to teach his kids to shoot when they were younger, put a couple of boxes through it and never used it after that. It didn't shoot too good when I got it so I floated the barrel. BINGO, we have a winner. I've shot a few boxes through it now. I have run a brush through it a couple times just to knock out any loose carbon with a resulting little puff of dust when it comes out. I decided to see if there was anything in the barrel and gave it a go with bore cleaner. There was a tiny little hint of blue on the patch(barely even visible), but that was it, so I did it again and let it sit a little longer. Just a white patch. I tried it one more time, just because, and got nothing. It's clean. Is this normal? I hear horror stories about fouling and how hard it is to remove it. What makes one barrel stay clean while another gets so dirty?

Great find. If it's accurate leave it alone until the accuracy subsides. I bought a 22-250 from a friend's estate still in the box and as far as I could tell unfired. SN showed it to be almost 40 years old. It was easily sub-MOA with hand loads and a prefiring patch or two. Haven't cleaned it yet with about 35 rounds. Edit: I bedded the action and free-floated the barrel before I fired any rounds.

Some bores are rougher than others and therefor collect more copper and carbon.
I have had rifles like yours and I still have several that are rough and takes a long time to get them clean but they all shoot well or go down the road or gets a new barrel.