christensen rifles; fiber wrapped questions, OWNERS APPRECIATED

augustinaustin

A buddy of mine has been considering buying one of these off the net so I started looking as well and am quite surprised to see how many of these are for sale: CHEAP...or at least compared to new. All have the carbon fiber wrapped Shilen barrel and all seem to be going for less than half of original cost. WHY so cheap? Did they have probs with balance, accuracy or ??? Any owners out there? THANKS

there have been several threads on this topic over the last six months,about the only advantage is weight the disadvantages are so numerous it is better to sum it up in a nutshell with the 4 P's Pile of Petrified Puppy Poop.
They can be made to shoot well after you send them back to Christensen 3 or 4 times but still no bargain at half price.

Christensen uses a Shilen barrel and turns it down to wrap it. Shilen can be fast & accurate, but not known for long barrel life. Other problems I've seen with the rifles are big calibers in light rifles. New owner shoots it a few times and then sells cheap! Christensen barrels do shoot, but depending what the owner started with (custom or semi custom or factory complete)there is a lot of variances in the "Christensen" rifles for quality and shootability. Be careful.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.